Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does the vanilla stop?

When does the vanilla stop?

Just wondering! I strapped on my Seiko OM a couple of days ago and noticed its four-year-old Isofrane strap still smells of vanilla as strongly as it did when new. The strap has seen sun, wind, ocean and [chlorinated] pool use many many times, and still has a strong scent.

I've never been a big fan of scented straps.

Does the vanilla even end?
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    No idea, Sherry. I had one once and gave up hoping for the smell to disappear; I got rid of that strap.
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 13, 2019 at 03:06 AM.

4. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    No idea, Sherry. I had one once and gave up hoping for the smell to disappear; I got rid of that strap.
    I was afraid that might be the case with scented straps.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

Vanilla is probably my favourite smell. Does non-scented rubber smell of rubber?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Vanilla is probably my favourite smell. Does non-scented rubber smell of rubber?
    They add vanilla to stem the natural smell of rubber !!

So yeah, rubber smells of rubber
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

8. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    They add vanilla to stem the natural smell of rubber !!

So yeah, rubber smells of rubber
    I don't know what Hirsch does to their natural rubber straps, they don't have any smell. They're very durable and comfortable.

Love the satin finish, too.

-- Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I don't know what Hirsch does to their natural rubber straps, they don't have any smell. They're very durable and comfortable
    They must add something to it to counteract

I think non-vulcanised (Like wot you've got) smells less anyway?
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869

The rubber strap that came with my Overseas never had a strong smell of any kind, so it can be done.

12. Likes popoki nui, CFR liked this post
    It doesn't. I have an old (like 5 years) Stowa strap and it still smells like vanilla, though a bit more faintly.

14. Likes popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    I don't know what Hirsch does to their natural rubber straps, they don't have any smell. They're very durable and comfortable.

Love the satin finish, too.

-- Wayne
    Nice! I'm a big fan of Hirsch. I have several Hirsch "Runner" and "Mariner" waterproof leather straps, which have proven to be exceptionally durable after years of repeated use in the water.

I'll check out their rubber straps.