Likes Likes:  17,821
Page 759 of 778 FirstFirst ... 259659709749757758759760761769 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,590 of 7780

Thread: And what did you buy today ?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Attachment 103727

A sexy hi-fi brick.

Paid a deposit anyway. Supply is a bit of a trickle because of COVID, but they’re made just up the road from me, which might help. Should have it before Christmas.
    Interesting. I reviwed their very first DAC for an audio magazine - ages ago. It was quite a big box with three independent linear power supplies and a volume control. I'm feeling old, now

Nice guys.
    Last edited by CFR; Dec 3, 2020 at 12:28 AM.

2. Likes iyonk, gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Let me know your impressions when you get it in, as I mentioned I'm mostly analog, but I want to get a good quality DAC.

I will.

It ought to be good, according to ‘state-of-the-art’ descriptions in reviews, and very few DACs measure as well. There’s also no doubting the reputation of its designer, Rob Watts. Unusually, Watts and Chord have programmed their own chip, rather than buying one off the shelf.

However, I’m wary of florid descriptions in reviews and I’m not expecting anything dramatic. Modestly-priced DACs do a pretty good job, and I’ll be happy if there’s a small but satisfying upgrade over what I have now. I’ll also be wary of the tendency we all have - to perceive a positive difference commensurate to what we’ve paid.

This is an extravagant purchase, if I’m honest. I was thinking about buying a £500 DAC and bought one that cost twice as much. It’s not much cheaper than my amplifier, and it’s about a third of the price of my speakers. But it’s so desirable...

Bigger speaker cones would make the most difference to my system, but bigger speakers wouldn’t be (ahem) ‘domestically acceptable’ - maybe not even to me. With the Chord, I should at least be making the most of what I have in that department.

I’ve resisted the salesman’s suggestion that I might be interested in a super-whizzo USB cable. None of that voodoo round here, thank you, and it’s pleasing to see that Rob Watts agrees.

4. Likes iyonk, gnuyork liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Interesting. I reviwed their very first DAC for an audio magazine - ages ago. It was quite a big box with three independent linear power supplies and a volume control. I'm feeling old, now

Nice guys.

Rob Watts might not have been designing for them then. He’s gone on forums telling people not to bother upgrading the wall-wart power supply of the Qutest.

Chord stuff isn’t cheap (I think the amps are in the £5k - £15k range), but then you’re getting something hand-made with fabulous build quality and design. For me, it’s also nice to know that they’re just up the road if I have a problem - even if that is unlikely.

Damn—cameras, stereos—I’m behind. Again.

You guys know that I do large format with Sinar equipment. I do like that Swiss junk.

And I just made prints of stuff I took using my Pentax 67–and it’s digital sibling, a Pentax 645z. For miniature format (as large-format photographers refer to 24x36), I’m still using a Canon 5DII, recently overhauled bu Canon with a new shutter and mirror box.

And then there’s all the Soviet junque. My Leica screw-mount is a Fed 3 But the film in the freezer is all rolls and sheets—no cassettes.

What camera stuff did I buy recently? An 80-160 autofocus zoom lens for the Pentax 645z. I think I paid $125 for it, shipped from Japan.

For DACs, I’m using a Musical Fidelity V90, which is pretty decent, and respectable by any standard considering its sub-$300 price tag. I also have a Nuforce that I bought off Massdrop for under a hundred that is surprisingly decent. The new purchase is an Ifi Zen Blue Bluetooth tuner.

My most recent indulgence is a Hults Bruk Kisa axe—hand-forged and shaving-sharp. Here it is with part of my current axe collection (it’s the little one):

Rick “with 3000 trees, the axes are users” Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

I glazed over when I read everyone's reply after mine and almost moved this to the audio thread but then I saw Rick's axes and was immediately placated. Great new hobby to collect
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    I failed to resist temptation, and I bought the Revue Thommen Ti Chrono after negotiating a fair price. I am quite fond of Titanium, it's a perfect size for me at 38mm, and it has my favorite quartz chronograph movement, the ETA 251.262. And it's a pretty matte blue.

Name:  IMG_0865.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  51.2 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

That is a gorgeous shade of blue.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    That is a gorgeous shade of blue.
    I thought/think the same, but can't help but wonder if that's the actual colour or if the AR coating is 'influencing' it.
    Either way, I like it; it's a very 'purposeful' looking piece.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

12. Likes skywatch, hayday liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I thought/think the same, but can't help but wonder if that's the actual colour or if the AR coating is 'influencing' it.
    The actual color should be pretty close to that. I have seen this model in person (a friend has had one for several years. I believe it's discontinued now.) It's a rather low-key watch overall. The blue is like a powder texture, dark with a hint of gray in it. The case is a natural Titanium color, not shiny, more gray-brown. I will probably take it off the bracelet and use either a khaki or bronze nylon one-piece strap, or maybe brown leather.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    It's a very distinct shade of blue, and I mean that in a good way.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

15. Likes skywatch liked this post