Likes Likes:  27,269
Page 243 of 1188 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343743 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 11875

Thread: And what did you buy today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Wow, that was not the response I was expecting.

He thinks we're serious.

Don't tell him...

2. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Name:  P2020003.JPG
Views: 159
Size:  183.2 KB

It's the #12/12! The collection is complete!

Name:  P2020015.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  190.6 KB

As probably expected, today's piece, being the last, is a synthesis of all idiosyncrasies already known, joined together; spring loaded non-functional pushers and printed hands. To be fair, this model – exceptionally – has a polished case, probably chrome plated, but avoids the rough look of their brothers.

Name:  P2020011.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  352.8 KB

Name:  P2020010.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  349.6 KB

There's more: please look closely at this sub dial: what does this mean? No idea. It was supposed to show a 45 minutes counter. What it really means and its intended purpose are pure mystery.

Name:  P2020012.JPG
Views: 145
Size:  143.5 KB

The Antimagnet. inscription puzzled me a bit. Antimagnetic, yes. But why the abbreviation? Do this watch get annoyed with magnets?

Name:  P2020013.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  394.6 KB

No. Surprisingly, the series was correctly following a practice I ignored.

Name:  angelus.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  88.0 KB

Pic from www

The provenance: the Hungarian Air Force. I could not check that information. The closest I came – and I've reasons to believe that's the model they tried to follow – was a chronograph made by Angelus for the Hungarian Air Force…in the 1950s!!!

Name:  P2020007.JPG
Views: 135
Size:  438.1 KB

There's this useful guide to better know the brand. Yes, a bit of marketing is obviously included, but it's interesting. You can download it (free) here:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/angelus-collectors-guide/

Now, if you please take off your glasses and choose a safe distance, the watch may start to look (almost) nice, doesn't it?

Name:  P2020014.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  169.5 KB

Nothing more to add. Finally, this is the end of the collection.

Thank you all, for following these crazy series. Your patience is remarkable.

Cheers, C

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Wow, that was not the response I was expecting. I’ve missed the same day order window, but I think I am going to get it. The X-Lander is very long in the tooth now and quite a bit bigger than the Core.
    i could suggest an alternative -i always preferred the Suunto Vector -of course out of production but good condition pre owned ones are quite common in the States -less so here but still desirable of that genre -probably a nice one £50/70

5. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    I just wanted to post four pics showing the whole collection and add a few comments.

Most of you know this collection began, quite unexpectedly. The watches came with Friday's newspaper, for 9.95 €. Meaning: I'm 119.40 € poorer.

During these twelve weeks and 82 photos we've seen all kind of anomalies, inventions, anachronisms, mistakes, etc. However and since the #1, I believe we all looked at these series as an entertainment, a joke, a fun moment.

It wouldn't be advisable to post this collection anywhere else; it needs a Forum where the patience, the maturity and the sense of humour of its members allows it to shine. Thank you all!

Now, let's talk about the quality of the pieces: well…there is none! Still, let's start with the cases: I've no idea which metal alloy they're made of. The case backs are steel, but the cases (with the exception of the last model) seem to have some sort of coating (painting?) which gives them a rough but fragile blasted look. The dials are ok at a comfortable distance, otherwise, the printing becomes clearer and the flaws obvious.

The same tiny quartz movement powers all models, which leads us to the famous completely dead seconds complication; non-functional hands which are no more, than a simple printing on the dial.

Setting the time is an exercise in patience, given the enormous slack present on the hands/movement. Unexpectedly, the seconds hands are reasonably aligned and that's nice.

So, can we call these series a simple exercise in futility? Probably. But to identify the "wrongs" one need to know the"rights" and that made me learn a bit more about these watches. Can't say it was a complete waste of time.

Name:  WTI_3_A.JPG
Size:  376.1 KB

Name:  WTI_3_B.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  359.9 KB

Name:  WTI_3_C.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  370.7 KB

Name:  WTI_3_D.JPG
Size:  368.8 KB

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
    C

P.S.: To follow a more serious approach to military watches, the Library has a thread by Churchy, who did a wonderful job describing the Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection:

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?24626-Eaglemoss-Military-Watches-Collection

Thanks again, Churchy.
    Last edited by CFR; Feb 2, 2018 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I just wanted to post four pics showing the whole collection and add a few comments.

Most of you know this collection began, quite unexpectedly. The watches came with Friday's newspaper, for 9.95 €. Meaning: I'm 119.40 € poorer.

During these twelve weeks and 80 photos we've seen all kind of anomalies, inventions, anachronisms, mistakes, etc. However and since the #1, I believe we all looked at these series as an entertainment, a joke, a fun moment.

It wouldn't be advisable to post this collection anywhere else; it needs a Forum where the patience, the maturity and the sense of humour of its members allows it to shine. Thank you all!

Now, let's talk about the quality of the pieces: well…there is none! Still, let's start with the cases: I've no idea which metal alloy they're made of. The case backs are steel, but the cases (with the exception of the last model) seem to have some sort of coating (painting?) which gives them a rough but fragile blasted look. The dials are ok at a comfortable distance, otherwise, the printing becomes clearer and the flaws obvious.

The same tiny quartz movement powers all models, which leads us to the famous completely dead seconds complication; non-functional hands which are no more, than a simple printing on the dial.

Setting the time is an exercise in patience, given the enormous slack present on the hands/movement. Unexpectedly, the seconds hands are reasonably aligned and that's nice.

So, can we call these series a simple exercise in futility? Probably. But to identify the "wrongs" one need to know the"rights" and that made me learn a bit more about these watches. Can't say it was a complete waste of time.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
    C

P.S.: To follow a more serious approach to military watches, the Library has a thread by Churchy, who did a wonderful job describing the Eaglemoss Military WatchesCollection:

http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthread.php?24626-Eaglemoss-Military-Watches-Collection

Thanks, Churchy.
    Well, this has been loads of fun, C, thanks for sticking with it to the bitter end. As for the final one, let's coin a new term--"double dead subdials."

8. Likes CFR, happyscrappyheropup, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    the pan a like looks fun had one of the mwc one of them still some where
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

10. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    As for the final one, let's coin a new term--"double dead subdials."
    Certainly.

Thanks, Mlcor.

12. Likes mlcor, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    I certainly enjoyed the experience, C!

Now that you have us hooked on these weekly acquisitions, you are going to keep it up, right? What’s another 40 watches to make it a whole year.

14. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I certainly enjoyed the experience, C!

Now that you have us hooked on these weekly acquisitions, you are going to keep it up, right? What’s another 40 watches to make it a whole year.
    Thanks, Brian.

Probably, not an acquisition per week, but a sale per week, from now on.

Anyway, Fridays will not going to be the same, again.

16. Likes FuzzyB, watchdaddy1 liked this post

During these twelve weeks and 82 photos we've seen all kind of anomalies, inventions, anachronisms, mistakes, etc. However and since the #1, I believe we all looked at these series as an entertainment, a joke, a fun moment.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers
    C

P.S.: To follow a more serious approach to military watches, the Library has a thread by Churchy, who did a wonderful job describing the Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection:

Thanks again, Churchy.
    I too enjoyed the series. And that last one Wow, that's gloriously bad. At least they punctuated Antimagnet

18. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post