Likes Likes:  27,478
Page 5 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: And what did you buy today ?

Hybrid View

I'm still a long way from bored with Everest.

While recently I've been slowly trying to work out just what the hell was really on Norgay's wrist and where he might have got it from, I'm still very much caught up in the first (yeah, I'm convinced) ascent of Everest and so couldn't resist this:

Quite apart from it sporting the same 'U' import mark as Mallory's, dating it to 1915/16, there's barely any evidence of wear, which is pretty good going for a one hundred and three year old wristwatch. The mainspring has gone west but that's a trivial issue. More of an issue is the very slightly radioactive radium lume which is helpfully smeared and dusted all over the otherwise imaculate porcelain dial.

Last edited by Matt; Aug 12, 2018 at 09:19 PM.

Stowa Flieger 40 no-no

I've been stalking this one for awhile. 40mm, 20mm lugs. No logo, no date, no auto, no muss, no fuss.
    Completely uncomplicated (unless you count the central seconds).
    Multiple straps (I wonder if any are "small"?)
    Cropped seller pix.

Sadly, it looks as if it will arrive the day after I leave town for 2 weeks in Belfast, with
    side trips to the ancestral village of Gilford (you get 10 points if you know where *that* is).

So...any decent watch shops in Belfast? I can't spend *every* day at the Titanic exhibit.

Name:  StowaFliegerFront27August2018.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  StowaFliegerMovement27August2018.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  100.8 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    So...any decent watch shops in Belfast? I can't spend *every* day at the Titanic exhibit.
    I was in Belfast last week and saw some nice vintage watches in the window of McNeilly’s, 7 Lombard St (v central)
    Another locally owned watch shop that gets good reviews is Lunn’s in the Queens Arcade (just off Royal Avenue)

Other cool things to do: have an Ulster Fry (breakfast), a Guinness in the Crown, a walk along Helen’s Bay (Belfast loughshore), a morning/afternoon in the Linenhall library (partic if interested in family history)
    Oh, and the best fish & chips I’ve ever eaten at the Dirty Duck, Holywood (seriously, I lived north of Belfast and used to make the trip regularly)

Enjoy the craic!
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

4. Likes Marcus.arc, synequano liked this post
    I've been stalking this one for awhile. 40mm, 20mm lugs. No logo, no date, no auto, no muss, no fuss.
    Cropped seller pix.

Sadly, it looks as if it will arrive the day after I leave town for 2 weeks in Belfast, with
    side trips to the ancestral village of Gilford (you get 10 points if you know where *that* is).

Excellent choice—very happy with mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Cropped seller pix.

I think the Top Gear boys went there or mentioned Gilford once. I've definitely heard of it. I assume it's in Ireland.

(Good looking watch, by the way. Strange; I associate you so heavily with the pocket variety, I had forgotten you were also into wristwatches.)
    Last edited by Raza; Aug 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

7. Likes I-B liked this post
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Smith's W10 1970

In the "last gasp" category, this is from the same year as my treasured "4C" Hamilton 992B (see avatar) - the last year for both. Some similarities, but quite different. Seller pix.

Name:  Smiths1970dial.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Crown.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Back.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Movement.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.1 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

In the "last gasp" category, this is from the same year as my treasured "4C" Hamilton 992B (see avatar) - the last year for both. Some similarities, but quite different. Seller pix.

Name:  Smiths1970dial.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Crown.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Back.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  39.3 KB
    Name:  Smiths1970Movement.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.1 KB
    Welcome to the W10 Club, Kenneth!

Mine (from 67) says hi!
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

11. Likes shameless, TigerDore liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Welcome to the W10 Club, Kenneth!

Mine (from 67) says hi!
    Thanks. Any tips on sources for good 17mm XS Perlon? Mine is arriving on a grey NATO, but I've never truly warmed up to NATO (too much hardware and folded strap makes it look much too busy for my tiny wrist).
    My usual out for fixed lugs is a Diplomat clip strap - but the choices there seem to be 16mm or 18mm. Picky..picky..picky... do I tolerate the slop...or try to squeeze in a too-big strap?

Sinn 356 SA Flieger II - copper dial - domed sapphire

My first watch of 2019 (arrives Saturday - I'll fetch it from the package locker on Monday)

I've been stalking this one since it first appeared. This one has the solid back (which I prefer). Replacement strap. Seller pix.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (5).jpg
Views: 216
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 144
Size:  99.0 KB