Likes Likes:  27,371
Page 607 of 1193 FirstFirst ... 1075075575976056066076086096176577071107 ... LastLast
Results 6,061 to 6,070 of 11928

Thread: And what did you buy today ?

I'm not posting here much at the moment, but I thought you'd like to see this one, if only for the humour value...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-OYS...S/303363094072

I freely admit that this looks like a complete waste of rather a lot of money. The second hand says waste, while the edge of the dial isn't so sure. After staring at it for three straight hours, I'm going to put my faith in the reactivity series and expect to pay the same again to fix it, leaving me something I can just about justify as almost a bargain.

It appears I've fallen in love with quartz again. It's been a while, but I've been having fun here:

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?456849-The-SMITHS-QUASAR-quot-Constellation-quot/page2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It appears I've fallen in love with quartz again. It's been a while, but I've been having fun here:
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?456849-The-SMITHS-QUASAR-quot-Constellation-quot/page2

Interesting thread! Thank you for that link. Very informative. Good luck with the Oysterquartz as well! That should be fun.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

I'm not posting here much at the moment, but I thought you'd like to see this one, if only for the humour value...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-OYS...S/303363094072

I freely admit that this looks like a complete waste of rather a lot of money. The second hand says waste, while the edge of the dial isn't so sure. After staring at it for three straight hours, I'm going to put my faith in the reactivity series and expect to pay the same again to fix it, leaving me something I can just about justify as almost a bargain.

I had the OYsterquartz the 18ct gold /steel modell, gold bezel and bracelet links and the quartz movement was probably the most beautiful quartz movement you will see a really stunniing watch and a real heavy block of a case and add the gold weight , they probably carried the nicest bracelet Rolex ever made , for a loss making project the comp thru all the money in the world at its production ,, probably more than any other of its models , real retro in today's mindset , probably pick up a nice one in mixed metals for about 2500 , problem is selling them in today's market , maybe someone who has one and needed the parts badly enough with money to waste !,,,

just about justify as almost a bargain

No equivocation there.

The Oysterquartz is one of the most interesting cul-de-sacs in twentieth century watch history.

There are two briefish references to the Quasar in ‘A Long Time In Making - The History of Smiths’. Apologies if you already have the book. First, and in summary -

High-grade watch production was to cease at Cheltenham, with aviation taking the redundant space. A small team under Dr Shelley of the Special Horological Products Unit continued to work on the development of quartz clocks and watches. It was to develop a cutting-edge quartz watch - the Quasar - launched at the Basle Fair in 1973, but abandoned soon after, probably in acknowledgement that Seiko had developed a much superior watch in the caliber 38 series, while Omega had already successfully launched the Megaquartz.

The second reference suggests that Smiths spent £200,000 on developing the Quasar with no real prospect of success. “It was ambition above skill.” If the Japanese were about to produce millions of quartz watches, there was no way that Smiths could compete. Generally, it was decided to get out of clocks and watches and concentrate on more profitable parts of the business.

5. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Wow Matt, thanks for the Quasar link: absolutely fascinating!
    So cool, and what a might have been for Smiths
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Update now that it’s been delivered and has had a few days to fully decompress: 100% worth it. Amazing how cheap it was compared to my old mattress, at half of list and a little more than two-thirds of what I actually paid for my mattress 10 years ago. I’ve been having deeper sleep and less back pain since I got it. Couldn’t be happier, fully recommend it.

A good mattress is a wonderful thing. Glad you're happy with the Purple. I have a tempurpedic and sort of dread going on vacations because it means nights away from my mattress. I LOVE my mattress.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

8. Likes Raza liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    A good mattress is a wonderful thing. Glad you're happy with the Purple. I have a tempurpedic and sort of dread going on vacations because it means nights away from my mattress. I LOVE my mattress.
    It's such an underrated piece of furniture. I loved my old mattress when I got it, but it was 10 years on and it had made it to the end of its useful life. The one thing I really like about the Purple over the Tempurpedic is how much cooler it sleeps than at least older Tempurpedic mattresses.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

My £200 mattress is more comfy than my £1000 one. I think there's some snake oil
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    My £200 mattress is more comfy than my £1000 one. I think there's some snake oil
    There may be. My Purple is much less than my old mattress, but it's also got 10 years of newer technology in it. As with most things, there's probably a bell curve and diminishing returns involved.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

A new mattress topper is the way forward and much cheaper

13. Likes Greg liked this post