Likes Likes:  27

View Poll Results: Which watch for my graduation gift to myself?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rolex Sea Dweller 4000

3 13.04%
  • Rolex Submariner

6 26.09%
  • Rolex Deep Sea

0 0%
  • Rolex Explorer

0 0%
  • Rolex Explorer 2 (white dial)

9 39.13%
  • Rolex Explorer 2 (black Dial

3 13.04%
  • Other?

2 8.70%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Planning

Blog Entries

Future Planning

Okay, doing a little fantasy shopping for my graduation gift (to myself, assuming I get a good job, in about two years). Is it worth it to get the Sea Dweller 4000 over the Submariner?

If they'd made the Sea Dweller 42mm instead of 40, that would probably seal it for me, but since they're the same size and they look basically the same, is the SD4000 worth $2000 more than the Submariner? Yes, it's that bit more esoteric, which I do like, and it has a date, but no cyclops, which is nice (though I don't really need a date at all; the symmetry of the Submariner is appealing). But the SD also has the markings all the way around the bezel, which I do like. It might be the lighting in the picture, but it seems like the lugs of the SD are a bit slimmer, which may make it wear a bit smaller than the Submariner, which is a bit of a concern. Of course, the SD4000 has massive capability, that I will never use.

At the point when I'm ready to buy this, my collection will look mostly like this, if all goes as planned:
    Speedmaster
    Monaco
    Pan Europ
    B-1
    MM300

With this purchase, the MM300 may or may not get sold. They're very similar, but the MM300 is such a good watch, I might not be able to sell it, sentimentally as well. It may become my knockaround watch, or I may find an IWLer who will take good care of it (but not too good care, you know?). The Speedmaster and the Rolex will likely dominate the daily wearing, with the Monaco being worn on special occasions mostly.

The Deep Sea is also in the running. But it also comes with an immense price increase over the two for, again, capability I don't need, and while I like the 44mm size, what one Rolex seller told me is a bit concerning. He said the Deep Sea is the most traded-in Rolex. His assumption is that people trade it in because it's either too big or too heavy for them, or they find that it wears a bit unbalanced. And having test driven one, I can see that, as it does feel top heavy. Also, even though I don't plan on changing straps on this ever, the 21mm lugs somehow irk me, just the tiniest bit. For reference:

The Explorer and Explorer 2 are also in the running, the size of the Explorer 2 being just about perfect gives it some real claws in this fight. Although, as I've noted before, I'm generally not a fan of naked steel bezels.

The Explorer is of course gorgeous, but the last time I tried one on, it definitely felt way too small. I'd probably even need to get an extra link for it from Rolex because it wore so tight (though it was a particularly hot summer day when I tried it on). Also, watches without a secondary timing mechanism tend not to survive long in my collection, might not be a good choice for this purchase. Although, it is quite a bit less expensive than the divers, if I recall correctly.

The white dial Explorer 2 is especially attractive; for some reason, the black doesn't quite pop the way the white does. Still, I thought I'd put it out there. There are negatives with this too, just for my preferences. Even though it's about the perfect size, the naked steel bezel, as I mentioned, isn't my favorite (I know, the B-1 has one too, and I turned around on that), and there's no timing function. Also, it's got a cyclops, which I would really love to avoid. I don't care for them. They feel like bifocals for watch crystals, and I'm just not that old yet.

Whatever watch I get, it'll be a lifetime keeper watch, so I want to make the right decision. This will never get sold, never get flipped, never get sacrificed for some whim. Which does sort of push me towards the "classically" sized SD4000 and Submariner. Even now, 44mm is on the upper fringe of my collection. The Monaco is 38mm, the Speedmaster 42mm, B-1 43mm, and MM300 an effective 43mm (42mm bezel, 44mm case). The 45mm Pan Europ has basically no lugs, so it wears small for 45mm. And it's not like 40mm is too small for me either; I've been wearing mostly 40mm and 39mm for the past 6 weeks or so, and it hasn't really bothered me.

So, we've got about two years to debate this. What should I get?
    Last edited by Raza; Mar 11, 2016 at 03:20 AM.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

2. Likes geoffbot, iyonk, wschofield3 liked this post
    I generally agree with your comments on the models you've just posted. And I'm one in a small minority that does not get the appeal of the Explorer I, especially, after trying it on. The Explorer II is a completely different story: it's a remarkable watch. But, taken into consideration your observations, the Sub may be your best choice.

Explorer II Polar rounds out the collection better I think, but it seems like you have a strong preference for the Sea Dweller. Get the one you like most, or you'll end up being sad

Cant help feeling after reading all your posts in the past that a 40mm SD would be too small for you, perhaps the Explorer 2 would be a better fit

Reads to me as you're not really committed to either one of these. Sounds like you would be making rather big compromises with whatever you choose. So does it have to be a Rolex?

7. Likes iyonk, is that my watch liked this post
    i vote for the black dial explorer II. seem to be a great watch that would accompany you for the rest of your life..

beside that, i also think the sub would be a great option.. even though i have a friend that prefer deep sea than the sub since he got larger wrist and he said he like the bigger size and it fit him like a custom made Rolex..

I only throw this in because I'm (seriously) considering getting one:
    Name:  ChasePelagos.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  37.7 KB
    Pic blagged from 'Chase'
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

10. Likes is that my watch, Raza liked this post
    not a Rolex fan but if I had to pic one of them would be this one

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

just thinking what is going to be your need .. tool watch .. classical watch ... as magnus said does it need to be a rolex tudors are lovely a Tudor Heritage Black Bay seems to be on some wish list and might fit some of the needs as is sub like in a way

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

13. Likes Raza liked this post
    Out of those, I'd very happily take the Polar Explorer.

• The current Submariners look ungainly to me.
    • The proportions of the Explorer 1 went awry when it was up-sized.
    • The Explorer II is the finest sports watch in the Rolex catalogue.
    • The 'floating' hands of the black Explorer look stubby.

I almost chose the Polar Explorer instead of my Datejust and still have trouble fending it off. I want one whenever I see one.

15. Likes Raza liked this post