Likes Likes:  3

Thread: mid-40s Baume and Mercier ladies watch

mid-40s Baume and Mercier ladies watch

Friend has sent me these pictures of a tiny Baume and Mercier watch that was given to a lady as a 21st birthday present about 70 years ago. I've asked for a movement shot, and asked about the metal (given the condition I'm presuming its solid gold?) I'm hopeful that the serial number might be of some use. The third picture is to show how small it is! Would B and M still service it?

Name:  b and m 1.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  b and m 2.JPG
Views: 232
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  b and m 3.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  44.2 KB

I've zero idea of the quality of movements put into watches like these

Blog Entries
    Since its vintage, I would probably patronize a local but known quality watchmaker. You'll get a better deal that way. But I am sure you know that women's watches don't fetch what they should, so tell your friend in case a sales is the idea.

Cheers!

Dan

I've no idea what she wants, to be honest - I don't know if she was close to the lady who owned it. Hopefully it's in her possession for good and I can help her get into state she can wear. Let's go and see if she's messaged me on Facebook....

5. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know there are no tables of B&M serial numbers available. However a movement pic is about the only way to be sure about ID. B&M might be able to help if you emailed them.
    You are looking at a quality movement here - probably 15-17 jewels. Well worth getting restored if it isn't rusty.
    As Dan has already pointed out ladies watches don'r fetch high prices at auction but a gold case has some value. I agree that a local watchmaker is the best way to go.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

Blog Entries
    Looks like a 17 jewel movement. I would not run it for long unless it is serviced - cleaned and lubricated. Too risky otherwise.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

I know a good reliable cheap watchmaker she can send it to.

9. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Good news: she's already contentedly wearing it herself She's going to email B and M to see if they've info, just out of curiosity. I'll be fascinated to see what kind of work they offer to do on it. I've told her she needs to do better with her photos!

11. Likes Dan R liked this post