Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Unbranded 1920s cushion case manual

Unbranded 1920s cushion case manual

I posted this on my SOTC thread on Central, but I thought you might like to see it here.

Despite having had it since the 90s, I had no idea of the who / what it was until recently, aside from knowing it was hallmarked sterling silver inside. Its a 1922 Dennison case, and the movement is a AS554.

Name:  silver fingers 2.JPG
Views: 202
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  silver inside caseback.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  silver movement.JPG
Views: 309
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  silver 5.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  55.8 KB

I'm going to polish the case, then send it to be serviced, and buy it a more suitable person than the black its on at the moment (I fancy a very dusty blue)
    When I was 20, for christmas I asked for a second hand watch, and this is what I got! Up until then I had only worn Casios. I wore it nonstop for my 3 years of university.

2. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    ps I wish modern day manuals looked as pretty as this: so often they're dominated by a big expanse of (very nicely decorated) plate.

Not being picky but the minute hand tip looks like it wants straightening

oooo it's a red 12 dial http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/red12.htm

Lovely dial - reminiscent of my "new" 320 Nivrel, not the one I'm wearing today

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    If I were you I wouldn't polish it; I'd only remove the tarnish on the case. But I'm also assuming that can be done without polishing.
    Last edited by Imitation of Life; Nov 27, 2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: meant without, not with

7. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Imitation of Life View Post
    If I were you I wouldn't polish it; I'd only remove the tarnish on the case. But I'm also assuming that can be done with polishing.
    Having been brought up around a lot of silver, I know that keeping it de-tarnished is a never ending task! That's all you need to do for silver: gentle rubbing, nothing like polishing steel (about which I know nothing) I don't mind. I'm not intending to wear it very much, but my mum, who bought it for me originally would like to know it was being worn occasionally (and I am certain would want it to be worn looking nicely shiny )

I was wondering how long silver polishing cloths keep good for. My mum said as long as you fold them up along the original folds each time you put them away they're good for about 8 years!

9. Likes Imitation of Life liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Not being picky but the minute hand tip looks like it wants straightening

oooo it's a red 12 dial http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/red12.htm

Lovely dial - reminiscent of my "new" 320 Nivrel, not the one I'm wearing today
    Do you imagine that something like that escapes my attention....?!

My presumption is that when it got serviced in the 90s whoever did it decided that the tip was too fragile to risk bending back

Blog Entries
    Pretty cool watch. I do like how the case back has the pin for proper orientation. You have taken good care of it. I am always wary of my vintage watches with no shock absorbing.

You don't have to use a silver polish cloth too much or too hard to make it look good. I have two fountain pens that require it and it is never much of a chore. I just wouldn't spend too much time trying to get into the crevices.

Thanks!

Dan
    Last edited by Dan R; Nov 27, 2014 at 09:44 PM.

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    I'm going to take it with me next time I visit my parents, and let my mum show me how much/little. Knowing my style of cleaning I would reduce it to a small lump of rounded metal in no time....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Having been brought up around a lot of silver, I know that keeping it de-tarnished is a never ending task! That's all you need to do for silver: gentle rubbing, nothing like polishing steel (about which I know nothing) I don't mind. I'm not intending to wear it very much, but my mum, who bought it for me originally would like to know it was being worn occasionally (and I am certain would want it to be worn looking nicely shiny )

I was wondering how long silver polishing cloths keep good for. My mum said as long as you fold them up along the original folds each time you put them away they're good for about 8 years!
    We've got one that was my wife's mum's. Couldn't tell you how old it is, except it's a lot more than eightyears.