Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempest Carbon

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar

Tempest Carbon

Very interesting new piece reviewed by W&W: http://wornandwound.com/2014/12/03/t...carbon-review/

Other than a couple of forays into titanium, I'm not one to stray from steel watches. But this one has me intrigued.

Next add a bezel and I would consider it

3. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Forged carbon will be the new thing and more micros will follow. I personally LOVE it. And every case will not be the exact same due to the carbon forging process (pieces of carbon placed in a mold and pressed together).

I love carbon on race cars and I'm a car guy.....this is like 24k gold to us car freaks...lol
    Last edited by Danny_T; Dec 4, 2014 at 06:04 PM.

5. Likes OTGabe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    Next add a bezel and I would consider it
    Not sure there has been a FC diver with a external bezel, it may have to do with the build process, my AP ROO FC diver has an internal bezel which obviously is not a problem, but I know you are picky about your divers and suspect internal bezels are a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_T View Post
    Forged carbon will be the new thing and more micros will follow. I personally LOVE it. And every case will not be the exact same due to the carbon laying process.

I love carbon on race cars and I'm a car guy.....this is like 24k gold to us car freaks...lol
    Note forged carbon is not laid, it is actually "forged". They use small pieces of carbon that are pressed and heated into a mold. There are some watch cases built which use a more "standard" laid construction.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Note forged carbon is not laid, it is actually "forged". They use small pieces of carbon that are pressed and heated into a mold. There are some watch cases built which use a more "standard" laid construction.
    Exactly. From the review:

"The material itself, also referred to as carbon composite, forged composite, etc… consists of carbon chips and resin, compressed into molds under extremely high pressure and heat (hence forged). Unlike the more traditional woven carbon fibers we are used to seeing, the use of chips rather than a lattice of threads makes the material strong in all directions. This is also what gives it its randomly marbled appearance, and allows for it to be finely machined in the ways a watch case needs to be. And like carbon-fibers, the forged composites are still very light in weight."

9. Likes ilitig8 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    Not sure there has been a FC diver with a external bezel, it may have to do with the build process, my AP ROO FC diver has an internal bezel which obviously is not a problem, but I know you are picky about your divers and suspect internal bezels are a no go.
    A simple matter of a stainless insert for a bezel to attach to (also with a SS insert inside) and we have a bezel, not adverse to internal bezels so long as they can be adjusted wet and have a reliable seal system for the adjusting crown (probably a place for another insert along with the main crown) ideally there would be some sort of cage that the carbon is forged around.

11. Likes ilitig8 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OTGabe View Post
    Exactly. From the review:

"The material itself, also referred to as carbon composite, forged composite, etc… consists of carbon chips and resin, compressed into molds under extremely high pressure and heat (hence forged). Unlike the more traditional woven carbon fibers we are used to seeing, the use of chips rather than a lattice of threads makes the material strong in all directions. This is also what gives it its randomly marbled appearance, and allows for it to be finely machined in the ways a watch case needs to be. And like carbon-fibers, the forged composites are still very light in weight."

I meant laying the particles the mold. I'll clarify my post.

I followed the project and read the reviews. I like the idea of it. But I am not backing this first effort yet. I love the idea of forged carbon but I am totally crazy about the style. Its not bad looking and all, but it doesn't look great either. I wished the hour hand is shorter or minute hand is longer. I don't like the way the lugs flow with the strap. I personally much prefer un-coated (bare) case back that touches my wrist. And I want screwed lugs instead of spring bars since I like changing straps.

I don't know if a titanium core case is possible, but that's more align with the purpose and goal of forged carbon, which is strong and light weight.

The last 2 are basically deal breaker for me. I think its a great first effort, I look forward to future (affordable) forged carbon watches from small watch markers.

Quote Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
    I followed the project and read the reviews. I like the idea of it. But I am not backing this first effort yet. I love the idea of forged carbon but I am totally crazy about the style. Its not bad looking and all, but it doesn't look great either. I wished the hour hand is shorter or minute hand is longer. I don't like the way the lugs flow with the strap. I personally much prefer un-coated (bare) case back that touches my wrist. And I want screwed lugs instead of spring bars since I like changing straps.

I don't know if a titanium core case is possible, but that's more align with the purpose and goal of forged carbon, which is strong and light weight.

The last 2 are basically deal breaker for me. I think its a great first effort, I look forward to future (affordable) forged carbon watches from small watch markers.
    I don't know if my AP has a steel or Ti core but the caseback is Ti. It also has screwed lugs BUT they are a double screw type which you really need a screwdriver head holder to do it easily and has proprietary lugs so strap options are limited but there are a lot of custom ones available.