Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys think of Arnold & Son?

Their movements have always been too two dimensional for me. That said, I really do like the dial side of the new "250th" anniversary piece, but the movement, although well finished, is quite boring and flat.
    The grail:
    Jean Daniel Nicolas Two Minute Tourbillon

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, the break happened in 1843 when John Arnold's son died. Arnold & Son then became Arnold & Frodsham, which ran until 1858.

The modern company was created in 1998 and has no connection with John Arnold, his son, or Arnold & Frodsham. 'Since 1764' on the dial is very naughty indeed.
    I think there is another link that actually connects Arnold with a very old and respected watch and clock house. Between 1830 and 1840 John R. Arnold and Edward Dent were in partnership, during which time they achieved a few navigating timekeeping firsts, did research into composite and and supplied a chronometer - number 633

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXQUhBsUVM

*ahem* sorry

To equip the Beagle, which of course was Charles Darwin's ship during the Galapagos expedition. Although the partnership was dissolved, the two men had cooperated fruitfully on a range of horological developments including the development of improved balance springs and regulators as well as research into alloys with low expansion coefficients. Dent carried on producing watches and clocks and was arguably one of the very first high end makes, producing watches and clocks for many of the royal families of Europe and Asia, not to mention Big Ben, the St Pancreas Station Clock and a few other major civic timepieces. While Dent has been in something close to hibernation for the latter half of the twentieth century and running almost entirely on private, civic and military repair work, it has been regenerated in the last few decades and is now producing some fine clocks and slightly less impressive watches on the back of the whole British Horology fashion.

So their watches are not a patch on the 'Arnold' ones, but they have roots that are a little more solid than Birnam Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The accuracy of their moon phase mechanism is something absurd, I forget what exactly.

122 years
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron
    It's wack if it don't say Patek!
    Stealin' lunch money on school playgrounds for Rolex since 1978

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    122 years
    How far out in 122 years? An earth day? A lunar day?

How far out in 122 years? An earth day? A lunar day?
    They say simply one day but I assume that is a lunar day since you can adjust it back to "correct" with one push of a pusher and I assume that would be the same pusher they use to set the moon phase.

While interesting that length of time is useless since a mechanical watch is never going to run for 122 years continuously.

Now you could just regulate the watch 2 seconds a day fast and the moon phase would would be almost exactly correct (if my quick math is right) but after just a little while the time would be basically useless. At 2 SPD fast the moon phase would stay accurate for a little over 3700 years (again if my math is correct).
    ALS Blancpain Breguet Hamilton IWC JLC Omega Panerai Patek Rolex Tag Tudor Seiko Sinn UN Vacheron

I suppose that it means that from service to service assuming you keep it wound it's going to accurate enough that you're not going to notice. Wonder what the power reserve is? The Moser moon phase is sensibly seven day power reserve. Not sure how it's accuracy compares with the Arnold, but it too isn't just 29.5 days

I suppose that it means that from service to service assuming you keep it wound it's going to accurate enough that you're not going to notice. Wonder what the power reserve is? The Moser moon phase is sensibly seven day power reserve. Not sure how it's accuracy compares with the Arnold, but it too isn't just 29.5 days
    I think it is 3 1/2 days, for a perpetual manual wind it seems a little short in my mind. This coming from a guy that NEVER sets his moon phase watches correctly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ilitig8 View Post
    They say simply one day but I assume that is a lunar day since you can adjust it back to "correct" with one push of a pusher and I assume that would be the same pusher they use to set the moon phase.

While interesting that length of time is useless since a mechanical watch is never going to run for 122 years continuously.

Now you could just regulate the watch 2 seconds a day fast and the moon phase would would be almost exactly correct (if my quick math is right) but after just a little while the time would be basically useless. At 2 SPD fast the moon phase would stay accurate for a little over 3700 years (again if my math is correct).
    Then this one is completely ridiculous, with only one day in 11.000 years :-)

http://www.klaauw.com/en/collection/...20Moon%20Joure

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    ...or, for a fraction of the cost of that one (although still not cheap!), you could get an Ochs & Junior that's accurate to one day every 3478.27 years. I mean, what's 7521.73 years between friends?

Name:  Ochs Junior Moonphase.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  5.8 KB

11. Likes FuzzyB liked this post