Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: terry pratchett the man's a genius !!!

terry pratchett the man's a genius !!!

so terry pratchett to me has always been a great author every time a read one of his books it's like the first time as you always see something different in them as you grow older the hidden text so to speak so let's chat mr.pratchett
    so what book was your first ? who was your fav baddie ? who did you want to be ? and which of the faculty was like your science teacher carpe jugulum as they say
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

More I than S underwatermechanic's Avatar
    Can't remember which was my first but my favourite character is Rincewind the wizzzard as he is such a coward but he always seems to have these great adventures. Oh and the luggage is just fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by underwatermechanic View Post
    Can't remember which was my first but my favourite character is Rincewind the wizzzard as he is such a coward but he always seems to have these great adventures. Oh and the luggage is just fantastic
    the luggage is great it keeps turning up in later books was twoflower luggage till he gave it to rincewind lol well there's been some very remember-able characters my favourite hard to say like so many from granny weather waxi to the Liberian or mort to death or blink or c.m.o.t.d
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I like how you have C.M.O.T.D. Disembowel myself Honerably Dibbler, Al Diblah and other versions of the man turning up all over the place

I like how you have C.M.O.T.D. Disembowel myself Honerably Dibbler, Al Diblah and other versions of the man turning up all over the place
    yeah am lead to believe it was based loosely on delboys haha I love how some characters keep pop back up like nobby nobs or corporal carrot or the ghost that shy and leaves notes every where or masquerade with the take on the phantom of the opera lol with walter plinge which is a play on words as they use in the theatre that name when they don't want to be remember for the part .. the way he takes really life makes it fiction but then really life fiction it's just something wonderful
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

The similarities are just endless. Lord Vetenari is based on the deMedechi family. The Omnian missionaries are based on Jehovas witnesses and I think Ankh Morpork is based on London

The similarities are just endless. Lord Vetenari is based on the deMedechi family. The Omnian missionaries are based on Jehovas witnesses and I think Ankh Morpork is based on London
    yeah there hidden truths all over with the likes of some of the famous people in his books like with the wizzards and the unseen university wasn't that based on a really university that was only on paper but not in reality ? princeton or Harvard or Cambridge ? yeah got to start reading them again
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I do not think I ever read anything by him, where should I start?

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    I do not think I ever read anything by him, where should I start?
    the very first disc world novel

Last edited by is that my watch; Dec 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

10. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    So I have some time on my hands so to read the first of his Discworld novels The Colour of magic. lol any book starting like this is bound to be funny yet rewarding reading with assort of hidden jokes so kiddos gather round and it shall begin at the beginning where else would it start but with the Colour of magic

In the beginning there was…a turtle.
    Somewhere on the frontier between thought and reality exists the Discworld, a parallel time and place which might sound and smell very much like our own, but which looks completely different. Particularly as it’s carried though space on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown). It plays by different rules.
    But then, some things are the same everywhere. The Disc’s very existence is about to be threatened by a strange new blight: the world’s first tourist, upon whose survival rests the peace and prosperity of the land. Unfortunately, the person charged with maintaining that survival in the face of robbers, mercenaries and, well, Death, is a spectacularly inept wizard…
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy