Likes Likes:  8

Thread: First successful open heart surgery

First successful open heart surgery

Yesterday I adjusted a Casio for the 1st time - never had the guts before and it also wasn't necessary as all of them run well within specs but I received a PRG-100 that was over one second slow a day. First I thought about selling it but I like the watch so much and it was on my wish-list forever so I gave it a go.
    When I opened it I didn't even know if it has a trimmer screw but lucky for me it has one. First you have to remove the strap however - the plastic back-protector is attached to the backplate (looks like it's simply snapped on).

Strap removal is fairly easy as it has those metal pieces that hold the springbars - I used a paperclip to push in the springbars.
    You can also see that it's a "sample" watch with the engraved "S" on the backplate.

The trimmer screw is to the bottom-left of the battery.

I took my most precise Casio (AE-1000 which runs at about 1-2 sec + / month) and started adjusting - I gave the screw a little turn counterclockwise to speed it up - then used the stopwatch of the AE-1000 and started it once the PRG-100 reached the full minute so that they were perfectly in sync - then watched it for an hour or two - the whole process took about a half day with repeated turning of the trimmer screw and then checking against the stopwatch. Once it seemed to be in sync with the AE-1000 for a longer time I closed it back up and synced it with my GW-6900. After one day it still shows almost no deviation from atomic time - operation successful and I can finally enjoy this great watch!
    Some thoughts on the process:
    - I had to turn quite a bit before I noticed any change for the better - in the end it was almost 1/4 turn
    - I ordered some JIS-type screwdrivers as I slightly messed up the backplate screws - which is bound to happen with Philipps-type drivers as they're just the wrong type - sure won't happen next time with the new screwdrivers
    - It was all worth it as I hate a digital watch that runs slow and I didn't want the watch to be "spoiled" for me as I really like this model - a review of the PRG-100 will follow soon.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:16 AM.

2. Likes Rob, BlackNomad, popoki nui, Greg, iyonk, Rocat liked this post
    Finally the right tool for the job:

So I opened it one more time as it was still running a little slow (yet much less so than before the operation) - the screwdrivers work great - no comparison to a Phillipps. I should have gotten some of those long ago.

cheers, Sedi

Wow! Did not know you can adjust a digital watch.

Not all of them have a trimmer screw however but if they do it's pretty straightforward. From what I know the newer Casio models don't have one anymore.

cheers, Sedi

6. Likes cpl liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post

The trimmer screw is to the bottom-left of the battery.
    Thanks for the post, Sedi! I can't see "S" on the back plate, but I see "AC" at 10 o'clock - does it have an Air conditioner?

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of travelling." Margaret Lee Runbeck.

Yes, if it gets too hot the fan turns on but one should be careful if said "s..." hits it.

9. Likes Rocat liked this post
    Seriously though - the "AC" is the contact for the reset procedure - after changing the battery you need to shorten the battery with the AC-contact - some say it stands for "all clear" but I'm not sure on that. The "S" for sample can be seen on the 1st 3 pics - it's on the backplate of the watch right across the Protrek logo.

cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Seriously though - the "AC" is the contact for the reset procedure - after changing the battery you need to shorten the battery with the AC-contact - some say it stands for "all clear" but I'm not sure on that.
    I'm certain; it does indeed stand for "All Clear". And as you know, that is what happens when you touch the battery + to that connection: it basically reboots the watch, clearing all the previous settings.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine