Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New arrival D-Star 200

New arrival D-Star 200

Here you go mlcor!

Here is my D-200 acquired from Larry. The watch arrived in impeccable shape, as Larry's watches always are. It was a pleasant and seamless transaction. Painfully long, thanks to Canada Post, but without problems.

On to the watch. The D-Star 200 was introduced for 2012 and seems to be discontinued. A mere 3-4 years for a model that Rado seems to have invested a fair bit into suggests it was not very successful. The upside then being Larry got a great deal on this and then so did I.

Rado has variously advertised the three hander as 41 or 42mm X 46mm X 12mm. It seems this is one of the Rados where they have included the crown to try to big up the size. I measure this watch as 40ish X 45 X 11ish. It is a steel cased watch, so the Diastar name is odd. I do believe it may be the gas hardened steel, but I cannot say for sure. It certainly looks the same as the hardened portions of my Hyperchrome. Time will tell. The bezel insert is the only ceramic bit on this watch, though bracelets with ceramic centre links are available.

P3251943 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

It features the much maligned small monochrome anchor. The markers are reminiscent of some of the markers Rado used through the 1970s. The extremely long hands are faceted and painted with a black stripe down the middle. The raised minute minute track is finely divided with the seconds hand being long enough to make the subdivisions useful. This version came on the Rado rubber strap. I have never owned a rubber strap before and thought I might replace it. There was also some concern on Larry's part that it might not fit me. At the moment though my skinny wrist fits it. I also find it surprisingly comfortable.

P3241922 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Also surprising: a stainless steel deployant. This must be the first non-titanium deployant on a Rado since the late eighties or early nineties.

P3241905 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

One can also see the curved back in that shot. It makes the 11 or 12mm thickness sit comfortably on the wrist and makes the watch seem no more than 10mm thick. That is really nice in a dive watch.

So far the cyclops is amusing me more than it is irritating me. I think it helps a lot that it is internally mounted.

P3241917 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

While the dial is presented as black, it is a matte transparent black with a very faint brushed finish. It is really attractive and hard to capture. It may be the reason I like this so much more than the very flashy and beautiful blue version I previously tried.

P3241914 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

This is only the second diver I have ever owned, the other being the Orient Beast I won. As a comparison, the Rado bezel is both firmer and smoother than the Orient's. As it should be for the price difference.

P3251948 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The lume, you ask? Well, it lasts through the night and is pretty easy to read. It is "right purty", being the same duck egg blue as my D-Star. In the brightness stakes though, it is not the D-Star or the KonTiki.

P3241929 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P3241936 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

I am not sure the D-200 classes as a "proper" dive watch , but it is a pretty great looking desk diver.

Thanks for looking gang.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Mar 25, 2016 at 05:10 PM.

Beautiful photos. So, is the screw down crown a pain? I could never screw it in without a latex glove. A little small and slippery

3. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    If they had used pictures as nice as yours to advertise, there is little chance it would have been discontinued.

I've always liked the looks of that model. While not as eccentric as some Rados, it still has its own charm.

5. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Beautiful photos. So, is the screw down crown a pain? I could never screw it in without a latex glove. A little small and slippery
    Thanks Larry, and thanks for the watch. The crown is ridiculous. I wonder how many got flooded just because people gave up?

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    If they had used pictures as nice as yours to advertise, there is little chance it would have been discontinued.

I've always liked the looks of that model. While not as eccentric as some Rados, it still has its own charm.
    Thanks Brian. I think my photos are much closer to what the watch looks like in real life, though I haven't captured the matte sunburst finish very well. My wife and I were talking about how unflattering the the Rado images were. Even more so than usual. When I showed her this on my wrist, her first reaction was " I don't remember it looking that good."

Nice one Henry. It's the lume shot that sells this watch to me, the blue accents turn it into a totally different watch.
    Good work fella!
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Well, it's about time, Henry.

I really like like this one a lot--understated (especially for a Rado), great size, some unique design features. Hard to understand why it didn't sell. I guess I can see hard core Radoists thinking it wasn't "Rado enough," but you would think it was the kind of design that could have introduced less daring watch lovers to the brand. Oh, and great pictures, as usual.

11. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Thanks mlcor. I think one of the main reasons for it's failure to sell is Rado itself. The renders they used were much more horrific than usual. I think generally renders are chosen so that people aren't disappointed in real life but with the D-200 the renders make the watch look almost unformed, or bulbous. It is much more sleek than Rado lead people to believe.

13. Likes mlcor liked this post
    Very nice watch and awesome pictures as always. Really like the lume shots. Most excellent.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

15. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post