Likes Likes:  59
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Date window or no?

I agree, not all dates are created equal..a few "big dates" have caught my attention, if only I have the funds..

For me it's, like many others, a matter of balance. So when possible no date, and if needed at six, or a big date at 12!
    Same goes for Chrono's, 3-6-9 is nice, 3-9 is lovely. 6-9-12 not so. Does anyone make a 12-3-6 btw?

I'm like others in that I would prefer a hand-wind to be without date, just as a matter of convenience. Other than that, I have both and a date window is only conspicuous by poor execution. I don't mind a date at 4:30 if it preserves the marker concept or is necessary because of chronograph subdial placement.

I have to admit that I catch myself looking at a no-date watch to check the date far more often than being annoyed by the date window's presence, but I don't lose sleep over it.

Rick "not a slave to symmetry" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

4. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I have no watches that don't have a date. I depend heavily on knowing what day of the month it is for paperwork. So I always have a date on my watches.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Even though I am almost always near a computer or phone with the date on it, I still want it on my watch. I sold my Speedy and Sub 14060M because I could never adjust. I do appreciate the aesthetics of a date free dial, but it just doesn't work for me. Function over style when it comes to that particular feature.

7. Likes Broker liked this post
    For my daily wearer I like to have a date. I probably check it more times than I realize. It does kill the design on some watches if not done well...Christopher Ward Trident C60 comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Another thing I have against date windows is how cheap they can look in comparison with the rest of the watch: deeply set beneath the dial, with a gap between the frame and the wheel, the wheel not presenting the date accurately in the middle of the window...yuk.
    Example of one being so deep and distant that the relationship with the dial is weakened:

10. Likes OrangeSport liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Some watches do date windows very well, using them to achieve balance on the dial. In most cases though, I can do without them. An example of excellent use of a date window, which perfectly creates balance on an asymmetrical dial:

Yes, that works perfectly..
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    This works for me too - balances the marker nicely
    Are date wheels ever lumed? That would be awesome - a marker-shaped lumed date window.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

13. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Not a pre-req; but if there is one, it must....
    Read horizontally (9 through 3);
    Not encroach on anything else on the dial;
    Not have a 'cyclops'.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.