Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "what were they thinking" thread

The "what were they thinking" thread

I sometimes see watches that make me scratch my head in wonder.

Any comments or alternstive names welcome...

I will start with the Engelhardt "Piston head"

A ladies GMT dress fashion watch with serrated fixed bezel and a piston head crown at 4 o'clock

2. Likes Der Amf, iceman66 liked this post
    MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    Well if it's ok to magnify the date with a cyclops. Let's start with this as a concept!

Which watch today Churchy?

4. Likes iceman66 liked this post
    Wow, that crown is ginormous.

Here's a watch I wouldn't pay $.71 for let along the $71,000 it seems to go for.

It would probably go well with...

6. Likes Chicolabronse, iceman66 liked this post
    Almost as bad is their current version. At least they omitted the leopard skin...

8. Likes iceman66 liked this post
    Just don't understand why you would put these monstrosities on a watch

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1417793507283.jpg
Views: 2515
Size:  70.4 KB

sent from kindle fire

10. Likes iceman66 liked this post
    The Montegrappa designed by Sylvestor Stallone

Grand Seiko SBGR053 ¦ Nomos Tangomat Datum ¦ ​Tudor Pelagos ¦ ​Grand Seiko SBGA011

12. Likes zaskar36 liked this post
    Pretty much any Hublot or AP ROO

How about this one? Did someone give a kid a box of crayons and say, Design me a watch?

Name:  fugly.jpg
Views: 2525
Size:  40.9 KB

More I than S underwatermechanic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchbug View Post
    How about this one? Did someone give a kid a box of crayons and say, Design me a watch?

I have to say I quite like that watch. I don't think I will buy one now but I might pick one up down the line

16. Likes Glenroiland liked this post
    Drunk Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchbug View Post

A kid with crayons I can understand. They're still working on fine motor skills and don't have a clear understanding of design or colors. However, this watch was designed by two adults and that's the frightening thing about it. What can I say that hasn't been said already said on this or the other forum. The 6 that looks like the date but isn't. The actual date window that gets lost on the busy dial. The "made you look" sub-dials that aren't sub-dials. I can understand putting a design there but why put a printed subdial at the 9? Even if it's racing inspired, it comes off as super cheap.

It's admirable the brand owner has a "I make what I like" attitude. However, for someone who has completed multiple watches, I'm surprised he so grossly misjudged the demand this watch. Despite this, I hear some people like it. At least 48 KS backers. And good for them. Seeing as how it's only a third funded on KS with 10 days to go means that at the very least, the 48 backers will be saved from a buying mistake if the project dies.
    Last edited by Drunk Uncle; Dec 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM.

18. Likes iceman66, man of kent, Whoa liked this post