Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dive Computers - what's new? What's good?

Dive Computers - what's new? What's good?

Need to replace my Dive Computer. Stopped working over the off season, and while I could likely get it repaired, I'm not sure I could trust it. No doubt the guys doing the repair would do a fantastic job... but I'd always have a doubt in my mind. And that's not good.

Plus, this is a good opportunity to "justifiably" get something new, and cool. Of course. One of those "Oh shucks, looks like my toy stopped working

It's been more than a couple years since I've been in the market. What would you guys recommend. Suunto makes some very nice models - the D series looks fantastic - the Dx is definitely a watch that would do everything you could ever ask of it. Their Eon is also pretty slick. But pricey.

Do you want AI? Do you want a watch style or a brick? I've been using a Galileo sol for several years and it or the Luna would still be at the top of my list, LCD screen looks out of date but offers very long battery life and the compass is great.

the eon looks nice as does the seabear (recently bought by scubapro and AI is still not available) aqualung is coming out with some "new" models, mostly rebadged Oceanic.

if you don't need AI sherewater petrel/perdex are amazing computers and they run on an AA battery

3. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Like Lexvil say, the Galileo LUNA/SOL is an perfect dive computer.

The display is customizable and large.
    And perfectly readable.

You can get this or not with heart rate measurement.

The battery you can change yourself.
    This is an important point for me.

And this computer sits perfectly on my wrist under water.

Maybe the MARES Icon ?
    With color display.

Or you prefer a watch style computer ?

The Scubapro Mantis 2.
    Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches

5. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by deCompression View Post
    Like Lexvil say, the Galileo LUNA/SOL is an perfect dive computer.

The display is customizable and large.
    And perfectly readable.

You can get this or not with heart rate measurement.

The battery you can change yourself.
    This is an important point for me.

And this computer sits perfectly on my wrist under water.

Maybe the MARES Icon ?
    With color display.

Or you prefer a watch style computer ?

The Scubapro Mantis 2.
    Forgot the mantis 2 is also AI

7. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    Forgot the mantis 2 is also AI
    What do you mean with Al ?
    Regards Phil
    Moderator German Watches & Dive Watches

Quote Originally Posted by deCompression View Post
    What do you mean with Al ?
    Yes air integrated and if you want it a heart rate monitor, pricy though, the SOL or LUNA are a better deal I think because of the compass.

10. Likes thewalrus liked this post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys! My current computer is a brick. And I kind of like that about it. Though I have used more traditional watch style computers as well.

I think I want air integration as well. The Suunto Eon is still really attractive to me. But the Galileo looks really nice too - I'll have to check that out in person. I'm also pretty tempted by the new Shearwater Perdix. Looks small enough to not get in the way - but provides a ton of information.

In the meantime, I need to keep reminding myself about what I really want to do with my diving. It's so easy to fall down the path of saying "well - hell YES I need this computer to be able to handle technical Trimix diving and rebreathers - I mean, you never know - maybe I'll be getting into that stuff down the road"! Of course, the chances of me getting into serious technical diving and rebreathers is pretty slim. Non-existent if I ever tell my wife what a rebreather actually does. And probably not something I'd even really want to do for various time / money / risk reasons. So it's probably best not to base a thousand + dollar purchase on that hypothetical! Better to spend the extra money on a watch, or a trip.

Anyway, definitely going to keep looking - testing a few out. Seeing what my dive shop has in stock. And what they recommend. But I think I've narrowed it down to a couple key contenders... and 90% of the fun is looking anyway.

+whatever number we're on for the Luna/Sol.

I love it. I know AI has it's detractors, but I have never had a problem with mine and I keep an brass/glass back-up console (depth and SPG) in my dive bag in case I have AI or computer issues that way if I'm in the middle of the gulf I can still dive with my watch and tables. Additionally, the IR transfer to the divelog program on my computer it keeps excellent records and makes calculating a SAC rate easy. I like that I can look at my dive profile for depth and air consumption rate and add all kinds of info. Better than keeping a paper log (which I still do anyway) in my opinion. When I get home I'll try to get some screen shots of my logs if anyone is interested. Oh yea, and they wear very well...

Chris:

13. Likes deCompression, thewalrus liked this post
    Here is mine, its got a lot of dives on it.

15. Likes bu11itt liked this post
    Interestingly, I may have a line on being part of a bulk purchase of Shearwater Perdix in the near future. one of my former instructors, and current dive buddies, no longer has his dive shop - but he's still an Instructor - Dealer with Shearwater. And he's, apparently, quite taken with the Perdix. I haven't seen one in person, even. But the reviews sound great, and I have used Shearwater products before.

Going to want to check out the Galilieo first - and see what kind of discount my friend is able to offer - but this might be the way I end up going...