Likes Likes:  466
Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey.

Hybrid View

Whiskey.

I have, quite late in life, found my way back to whiskey (after abusing it in my youth while never appreciating or even particularly liking it). I don't know why but I one day had a feeling that I was ready to "get" it as they say and, Bloody Henry, was I right.
    So, I started with a few blends. First Johnny Walker Black (which I loved), Bushmills Black Bush (loved that, too)and Grant's (which I ended up giving to my niece).
    Then the single malts. Glenfiddich (back to the thumbs ups)and, best so far, The Glenlivet 12.

Where do I go now? I haven't yet picked a 'type' that I want to stick with. Floral, peaty, smokey... I'm just casting about to discover at the moment. I'm not so flush that I want to go much higher than the price of the Glenlivet but I don't want to buy bottles to give away, either.

So what does everyone else drink? And why?

Cheers

Gary

2. Likes bacari liked this post
    Blog Entries

Because I really don't know good liquor. But this stuff I like.

4. Likes gnuyork, JohnF, Col Angus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Broker View Post

Because I really don't know good liquor. But this stuff I like.
    My dad warned me about Bourbon. I think I'll have to give it a go!

Blog Entries
    Well have to put in a good word for the Canadian stuff.

Forty Creek is a relatively new distiller but they make some very tasty products. Copper Pot is one of their best. Very affordable too. They must be doing something right because Campari just bought them. So you may see their whisky in Italy, Gary.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

7. Likes JohnF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Well have to put in a good word for the Canadian stuff.

Forty Creek is a relatively new distiller but they make some very tasty products. Copper Pot is one of their best. Very affordable too. They must be doing something right because Campari just bought them. So you may see their whisky in Italy, Gary.
    If I see it, I'll check it out. It's unlikely down here in Lucca though maybe the next trip to Milan might turn something up.

Blog Entries
    I've lately been experimenting with gin martinis and vodka martinis mod'ed with different bitters. My favorite single malt was either Lagavulin (sp?) or Balvenie Double Wood, that is until they went over 50 USD per bottle.

Cheers!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    I've lately been experimenting with gin martinis and vodka martinis mod'ed with different bitters. My favorite single malt was either Lagavulin (sp?) or Balvenie Double Wood, that is until they went over 50 USD per bottle.

Cheers!

Dan
    Yeah, it's not cheap but given how much less wine I'm drinking and how long a bottle of whiskey lasts, I think I'm coming out about even.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post

Cheers!

Dan
    Still $49.95 at my local Binny's, but getting close to empty ...

Name:  Balvenie.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  50.9 KB

12. Likes Rob, geoffbot, bacari liked this post
    Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Though my ancestry is Scottish, I've never had much of a taste for Scotch. I like a good Irish whiskey on rare occasions, and when I have it, I go for my bottle of Jameson 18. Best blended whiskey in the world, many say.

As a southern man, I do have to have a bourbon on hand at all times, and I usually go with Jim Beam. Simple and reliable, and if someone wants it mixed with a cola, I don't feel like I'm pouring away money.

And when the really, really important friends and clients come over, I break out my rare bottle of Old Panther Piss...

14. Likes GaryF, JohnF, OhDark30 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I really like Jameson 18 as well. Hope springs eternal at Christmas. Jameson Select Reserve is also a nice one.
    For bourbon I enjoy Knob Creek.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

16. Likes JohnF liked this post