Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: State of the (Modern) Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Reference-grade pictures. Most of your watches will never have been shown to such advantage.
    Thank you very much Tribe!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Awesome as always. Are you considering a winter home in South Florida? I could really use some pictures of this quality for my watches. I know I can do better, I just don't have the time at the moment.

Do they call this an octopus dial?

Over at the Rado forum it is known as the tentacle dial, so close enough.

P4060425 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Very nice collection.

Awesome photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by popoki nui View Post
    Superb collection, Henry! Congratulations on an interesting, and very classy collection.

~Sherry.

Thank you Greg and Sherry!

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Thank you Iyonk. While I chose a picture of the 400 not on you strap, rest assured that it spends all it's time on it now.
    Dont worry Hank.. no problem at all.. may be a good excuse to get more of my straps in the future? for the convenient of not have to move it around ..

5. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Dont worry Hank.. no problem at all.. may be a good excuse to get more of my straps in the future? for the convenient of not have to move it around ..
    Yes, we should talk about that.

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Yeah, but no. Sorry.

Ahhh, you say that ......

PS: The photo directly after
    I thought I would love the Diamaster Grande Seconde, but when I tried it on I hated it. Then I tried on a watch I thought I would hate, but didn't. I ended up going home with the Longines Heritage 1935
    Doesn't load properly on here (for me at least) it loads about the top inch of the photo, then stalls , but if you click on it it goes to the site and loads fine ??!
    ....and the very first photo doesn't load at all (again for me at least)
    Last edited by Seriously; Apr 6, 2016 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Awesome.

Please explain the mechaquartz movement?

With pleasure. The ETA Autoquartz was developed from a test movement built by Swatch's research department. The concept was to be more environmentally friendly than a regular quartz watch. It has been claimed that the test movement inspired the Seiko Spring Drive.

The Autoquartz has 17 jewels and a winding rotor. The rotor charged a storage device. Early versions used a capacitor but it was a pain to change and service so it was eventually replaced by a Panasonic rechargeable battery. When fully wound the Autoquartz has a power reserve of 106 days. It is an early adopter of the four second jump to save power when it is running down. Prior to the inclusion of thermocompensation in COSC specs for a quartz movement the Autoquartz was regularly offered a chronometer. Without any modifications to the base movement. It has a microprocessor capable of minute timing adjustments. Rado has offered it in at lkeast three watch lines: in the Diastar as the Accustar, there were several versions of the Sintra with the Autoquartz and at least one Integral as well.

It is a pretty cool piece of watch tech, though it has been discontinued. The Mechanical revival seems to have made it obsolete for ETA.

10. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tempocalypse View Post
    Great SOTC and as expected a wonderful gallery of images put together as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by stewham View Post
    Great collection! The photos are amazing quality too. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you guys. It was quite fun approaching it from a curatorial point of view, sometimes choosing a photo that doesn't really show the watch for the simple reason that I liek the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Think all has been said already, so I'll just parrot the rest.

Great collection and as always beautiful photography.

I can see why The Hyperchrome Golden Horse would be a favourite.
    Thank you Magnus. I have a couple of watches that have a higher MSRP than the Hyperchrome GH, but it is the most money I have ever spent on a watch. None of those other watches come close to the level of finish on the Golden Horse either.

13. Likes meijlinder liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I don't know which is more fun, to see all of your modern watches at once, or just to be able to peruse the photos for art's sake. Wait, I can do both!
    You can do both!

Thnk you mlcor.

15. Likes mlcor liked this post