Likes Likes:  60
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leave a legacy: what you planning?

Leave a legacy: what you planning?

What difference are you planning on leaving in the world when you pop your clogs?
    Inspired by the 'thing you should do once thread', what do you plan on leaving as your legacy when you're gone?
    Me?

I want to restore a (hard) cider orchard. So sad to see all the decayed and reduced old orchards around the place, and cider is my traditional regional drink (English West Country)
    Let's hear yours
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

2. Likes Der Amf, is that my watch, Rob, scottjc liked this post
    Fund science, especially space exploration and research.

A lot of money is being spent on domestic problems, which is absolutely necessary, but NASA's funding is only $18.4B -- a mere 0.5% of the US' $3.4T federal budget.

4. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    You mean leaving a nice lake house and good collection of watches isn't enough?

6. Likes Rob liked this post
    Its a great question but realistically I'm far too young to be thinking about this now.
    But I would definitely say that it's far easier to make an impact here in Africa than it is for you guys in Europe/America.
    Sending a kid to University for a year is fairly cheap here.

The best impact I can think of is job creation.
    It's all well and good to give them wells and food but if you can give them a job then they are no longer reliant on donors.

Loads of posts on a watch forum.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Its a great question but realistically I'm far too young to be thinking about this now.
    I honestly don't understand that.

When you're young is when you have the most energy to start a path towards doing something that matters.

10. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    I'd like to leave a really nice log at Geoff's house.

And then, leave behind some incomprehensible stuff for future scholars to waste time poring over.

OR..!

Fund the first manned mission to the Sun.

12. Likes jsw41, bolaberlim, whatmeworry liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I honestly don't understand that.

When you're young is when you have the most energy to start a path towards doing something that matters.
    That depends. Sometimes when you're young you discover that merely making making progress towards getting to do the thing that you feel you ought to be doing takes every scrap of your time and energy. The path in my life to get me where I am now required not just all my energy but big sacrifices (compared to the gentle life I could have opted for) and I would have to be fairly conceited to think that what I'm doing even now constitutes some kind of legacy for others
    Last edited by Der Amf; Dec 6, 2014 at 02:16 PM.

14. Likes jsw41 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    That depends. Sometimes when you're young you discover that merely succeeding to do the thing that you feel you ought to be doing takes every scrap of your energy. The path in my life to get me where I am now required not just all my energy but massive sacrifices (compared to the gentle life I could have opted for) and I would have to be fairly conceited to think that what I'm doing even now constitutes some kind of legacy for others
    Well the conversation has gone from "leaving a legacy" to "thinking that leaving a legacy is conceited".

I don't know how to respond to that. It's two different topics. I never said or implied that starting young to make a difference is conceited.

I disagree with that notion if that's what you're saying, by the way. I think focusing on yourself and not trying to leave the world a better place is conceited.

I guess the question here is "what is a legacy?".

You've misunderstood me. I didn't say leaving a legacy is conceited. I said my thinking that what I'm doing now constitutes a legacy would be conceited

(ie the only thing I have expressed an opinion about is the worth of my own work)
    Last edited by Der Amf; Dec 6, 2014 at 02:28 PM.