Likes Likes:  103
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: *** AMPHIBIANS ***

A question. I just took delivery on a new Vostok Amphibian. As always, I need to resize the bracelet (I will probably remove 5 links). My problem is that the screws in the bracelet appear to me to be too small for my smallest screwdriver (1.0x40). I'm not even sure they are screws.

All clues gratefully rented.

I usually do this myself, but perhaps this will call for a trip to my local jeweler. I *may* have damaged one of the screws - but since I'll be taking off at least 5 links, that's no big deal. I don't want to damage any *more*...
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    A question. I just took delivery on a new Vostok Amphibian. As always, I need to resize the bracelet (I will probably remove 5 links). My problem is that the screws in the bracelet appear to me to be too small for my smallest screwdriver (1.0x40). I'm not even sure they are screws.

All clues gratefully rented.

I usually do this myself, but perhaps this will call for a trip to my local jeweler. I *may* have damaged one of the screws - but since I'll be taking off at least 5 links, that's no big deal. I don't want to damage any *more*...
    Any chance of a couple of pictures Ken ? I swapped the bracelet on mine pretty much straight away for a mesh so I'm having a hard time remembering how the bracelet came and I'm at work at the moment so I can't check. If memory serves me the one mine came on was the type where you just knock the pin through.

So many watches and so little time.

I'll make some pictures realSoonNow - basically it's your standard issue SS butterfly clasp bracelet. The removable links have one pin per link (closest to the watch). One end of the pin is plain - the other has a screw slot, but it's very thin and the pin is very thin - so my smallest screwdriver is too big. Ordinarily, I would immediately look for a YouTube video titled "How to resize a Vostok bracelet" - but I thought I would check here, first.

At the back of my mind I remember a post about some flavor of bracelet that "looks like a screw but you just drive it out.

The screw slots are very variable in appearance - some look clean - others appear molded and shallow rather than sharp and deep. The one that I attacked with the most force actually now looks like I may have twisted two halves of the pin (just a bit - only suggestive, but it was enough to convince me to not apply any more force. Most fo the screw slots are clearly too thin for the screwdriver to fit into.

My favorite jeweler lost their premier watchmaker, but I have to believe they have someone on-site who can handle re-sizing bracelets. I'll probably swing by there tomorrow morning and see if I can stump them. I'm a "good customer" for their service department (they are h.andling a full rehab on a 1963 Omega right now), so it shouldn't matter that they don't sell Vostoks.

If worse comes to worse, I'll follow the advice I've seen on this forum - just rip off the cheesy Vostok bracelet and slap on an aftermarket replacement. One does have to be careful that the bracelet doesn't cost more than the watch.

While I have you...HOW DO YOU WIND this beast? Have pity - it's my first screw-down crown. I can set it, but I can't wind it. I can get it to run by waving it around, but that seems a less-than-useful way to build up a significant power reserve. Oh dear - I see it has stopped. Time to reset it...and get it started again.

Feel free to point and giggle at my ignorance.
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Duh...success! There are no screws. These are split pins. The key is the arrow printed on the links showing which direction to INSERT a pin.
    To remove, just drive it out in the opposite direction.

The split pin looks very much like a screw head. It's not. Duh!

Two links out on one side - moving on to the other side.

Once again - "Feel free to point and giggle at my ignorance"

I'll make some pictures realSoonNow - basically it's your standard issue SS butterfly clasp bracelet. The removable links have one pin per link (closest to the watch). One end of the pin is plain - the other has a screw slot, but it's very thin and the pin is very thin - so my smallest screwdriver is too big. Ordinarily, I would immediately look for a YouTube video titled "How to resize a Vostok bracelet" - but I thought I would check here, first.

At the back of my mind I remember a post about some flavor of bracelet that "looks like a screw but you just drive it out.

The screw slots are very variable in appearance - some look clean - others appear molded and shallow rather than sharp and deep. The one that I attacked with the most force actually now looks like I may have twisted two halves of the pin (just a bit - only suggestive, but it was enough to convince me to not apply any more force. Most fo the screw slots are clearly too thin for the screwdriver to fit into.

My favorite jeweler lost their premier watchmaker, but I have to believe they have someone on-site who can handle re-sizing bracelets. I'll probably swing by there tomorrow morning and see if I can stump them. I'm a "good customer" for their service department (they are h.andling a full rehab on a 1963 Omega right now), so it shouldn't matter that they don't sell Vostoks.

If worse comes to worse, I'll follow the advice I've seen on this forum - just rip off the cheesy Vostok bracelet and slap on an aftermarket replacement. One does have to be careful that the bracelet doesn't cost more than the watch.

While I have you...HOW DO YOU WIND this beast? Have pity - it's my first screw-down crown. I can set it, but I can't wind it. I can get it to run by waving it around, but that seems a less-than-useful way to build up a significant power reserve. Oh dear - I see it has stopped. Time to reset it...and get it started again.

Feel free to point and giggle at my ignorance.
    Yeah, could really do with some pictures mate as I wouldn't want to give you the wrong advice. But to be honest nearly everyone swaps the bracelet out for an after market one as the Vossie ones are so light and "cheap" they let down what is effectively a fantastic watch. For that authentic 70's retro look you really could do a lot worse then put a mesh bracelet on.

Finally, there's no such thing here as ignorant questions just ignorant answers mate
    To wind the watch with the crown just unscrew the crown from the thread and then just wind in the conventional way. Hope that makes sense.

*** AMPHIBIANS ***

Duh...success! There are no screws. These are split pins. The key is the arrow printed on the links showing which direction to INSERT a pin.
    To remove, just drive it out in the opposite direction.

The split pin looks very much like a screw head. It's not. Duh!

Two links out on one side - moving on to the other side.

Once again - "Feel free to point and giggle at my ignorance"
    Glad you've got sorted mate.
    Just as an afterthought, if yours has a date window there is no "quickset" function to set the date so you will have to wind the crown round and round until the right date appears !
    Enjoy your Amphibian mate they are a belting watch and don't forget to post some pictures to this thread so we can have an admiring look

Last edited by The Watch Smeller; May 13, 2015 at 03:49 AM.

links removed: 4
    split pins destroyed: 2 (or was it 3? - in any event, I have enough left to complete the bracelet...)
    micro-adjustment made at the clasp: maximum

This is as small as it goes. fortunately, it's now perfect, for my puny left wrist.

I'll set the date realSoonNow. But first - HOW DO I WIND IT? I can set it, but I can't figure any way to stem wind it.

And finally...what is the true intended use of the 7 blue dots and 5 red dots? Marking a 4-hour watch?

Source for replacement split pins? If I'm being picky, I'd like to take one link off the 6 side and move it to the 12 side, but I'm not going to attempt that until I have new pins. The bracelet has gotten some bad press, but I think I'd like to use this one until it self-destructs. First, I'm partial to bracelets, and second, I'm even more partial to bracelets made specifically for the watch. Not to mention "signed".

but, when it breaks, I'm thinking NATO - either the James Bond pattern (for the irony) or (if I can find one) Russian colors (same as USA colors, but a different order - has anyone seen one?)

Nice watch - I liked the dial in pictures, and love it IRL. Here it is (ignore the incorrect date - I'll fix it...really!)

Name:  VostokAmphibian.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  111.8 KB

My fingers found the "winder"...and the date is set. Now all I need is water...

9. Likes Fox Covert liked this post
    To wind the watch unscrew the crown, pull very gently away from the case. Pull delicatley enough so as not too move the stem out from the case. Then wind while applying that gentle pulling action. Pull to hard and you will feel the stem pop out too the position you use too set the hands

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    The date can be quickset by moving the hands past midnight till the date changes and then reversing the hands to the 8:00 position and forward to past midnight again.