Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex on Antiques Roadshow tonight

Rolex on Antiques Roadshow tonight

my favourite prog tonight -guy comes on with fairly good condition Submariner -says he bought it for £400 about 35years ago because of the James Bond association [thats what he said] - expert explains its a little better than J.B's
    it was a the one that was issued to the Special Boat Service , one of about only 500 made - broadarrow issue stamp on the back -enlarged sword hands -'T' to the dial - slightly deeper lugs , 2mm or so - expert valued it to about £30,000 ! love that prog !

2. Likes Upstate, Chicolabronse, popoki nui liked this post
    Love that show. Every once in a while someone will bring in a great watch.

4. Likes shameless liked this post
    Just watched it on the iplayer, superb!

6. Likes shameless liked this post
    The Milsub - special stuff.

Fixed springbars as per the MOD's spec so they couldn't break, so they're only ever on Natos. Sword hands and full graduated bezel. 30k is the going rate due to their rarity. Crazy stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

8. Likes shameless, gnuyork, popoki nui, iyonk liked this post
    Sweet. Time to check out Grandpa's closet again.......
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

thought this may interest some - the watch on the show was dated 77' in the MOD serial
    Any milsub is rare...but a good double reference is ridiculously hard to find (and often proves the hardest step when putting the full set together), especially a navy issue one from the first batch of double references.

Rolex initially supplied converted model reference 5513 to the British Ministry of defence from 1972 onwards, but in 1977 they produced the so called double reference, a model carrying the 5513 code between the lugs, but additionally the 5517 reference code engraved on the rear of one lug. In total there were approximately 150 double reference watches produced, from my research there are less than 20 of these watches left in full original specification making it one of the rarest and sought after of the Rolex tool watches.

...what are you waiting for...NOT to be confused with a 5513 milsub ... one of a batch of 80 originally supplied in 1977 to the Royal Navy and with only a very small number surviving in some of the most notable collections around the world.

What an awesome Rolex- How much better is the Sub with sword hands.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

12. Likes shameless, Perseus liked this post
    Yes, I saw that. Looked like an untouched original, other than the bracelet.

14. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    The Milsub - special stuff.

Fixed springbars as per the MOD's spec so they couldn't break, so they're only ever on Natos. Sword hands and full graduated bezel. 30k is the going rate due to their rarity. Crazy stuff.
    My all time favorite "wish I had this watch"... Probably never see one in my life.

Rolex should reissue this one to the t.

16. Likes shameless liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CamB View Post
    What an awesome Rolex- How much better is the Sub with sword hands.
    Yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, I saw that. Looked like an untouched original, other than the bracelet.
    Ah - so no fixed lugs then? Definitely not a milsub then.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague