Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LUME: Is it really necessary or useful other than on the hands?

LUME: Is it really necessary or useful other than on the hands?

Except on a professional diver watch, do the indices need gobs of lume (or at all) if you have a pip @ 12,
    and the hands are lumed well?

I mean, it's on YOUR wrist. Are you ever confused as to which way is 12?

I am finding that lumed hands are more than enough, and the rest are just... for the "inner child."

I have one watch that has lumed dots for the hour markers, but nothing on the hands. I don't think thát is useful.
    Any lume on dial or case, is in my opinion superfluous, apart from maybe a 'this side up' marker for when not on the wrist.

3. Likes Whoa liked this post
    Adult me agrees with you on a purely functional basis, my inner child says lume me up baby.
    I suppose it just depends on which me goes shopping.
    Lets face it Adult rational me probably only need one watch as is less fun.
    MB2, SOH, Aquascope, Tangente, MM300, Blackbay, North Flag, Officer, Visitor.

5. Likes Bwana, Whoa liked this post
    I'll have to admit that I don't find lume in general all that useful. I'm not usually wandering around outside at night, since you guys have made me afraid of the zombies. And my house is connected and lit up with that newfangled electrickery so I don't have to sit in the dark anymore. And yet I own a Lum-Tec 'cause I when I go to bed I like to look at it glowing like magic on my nightstand.

7. Likes MarkO, Bwana, ken_sturrock liked this post
    I think the erotic animated dials could do with a bit of on the moving parts

I would link but I'll save Geoffbot's blushes (and my account)

9. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I have one watch that has lumed dots for the hour markers, but nothing on the hands. I don't think thát is useful.
    Any lume on dial or case, is in my opinion superfluous, apart from maybe a 'this side up' marker for when not on the wrist.
    Actually, even that is pointless.
    When does anyone really need to read the time when it's off the wrist, and from such a distance that once could not just grab to read it?
    Once one has grabbed it, one can feel which way is up, bcz of the crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    When does anyone really need to read the time when it's off the wrist, and from such a distance that once could not just grab to read it?
    I usually do not wear my watches while sleeping. With the nightstand close by, I can just open my eyes and see the watch, and keep my arms warm

Honestly, the only thing lume is for on my watches IS for my inner child. I like to make my inner child happy.

If I'm out somewhere, and it's that dark, even a small amount of lume is sufficient. If I'm home at night, I have one of those new-fangled plug into the wall clock thingies.

And if I need a locater dot to tell me which way is up, I've probably got other problems at the time...

13. Likes Whoa liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Crowns aren't always on the 3:00 side though

It's a matter of preference how you choose to adorn your wrist ornament. Usefulness went out the window decades ago.