Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LUME: Is it really necessary or useful other than on the hands?

Really like lume, but realize that it does not always look correct on certain watches, but it is a preference for me when shopping.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

LUME: Is it really necessary or useful other than on the hands?

On the indexes I think it provides points of reference we're used to seeing on the light.

It usually looks nice and that's usually better,

Wish it lasted longer & was brighter...after all these years it still seems more like a promise then something fully realized.

The day they figure how to bend tritium tubes is the day I buy a new watch..
    Last edited by ljb187; Dec 9, 2014 at 01:15 AM.

3. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    On the indexes I think it provides points of reference we're used to seeing on the light.
    My thoughts exactly.

5. Likes Chronopolitano, ljb187 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Ideally, two baton markers at the 12 o'clock end of the dial, one baton on the other three cardinal points of the dial. All with a strip of lume. On a nightstand at 4:00am, it should be easy enough to read the time, as long as the lume is bright enough.
    I prefer my watches to have lume. My Tissot Visodate doesn't, nor do most of my vintage pieces. These are what I call my daytime watches. Of no use in a cinema during a boring movie. Unless you angle the dial at the screen.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

adult Lume:
    Name:  30919-chase-albums-chase-misc-picture51241-pelagos-vs-explorer-ii.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  19.7 KB

Inner child lume:

8. Likes OhDark30, Chronopolitano, mlcor, Martin liked this post

LUME: Is it really necessary or useful other than on the hands?

Yes

Better one of the watch
    Last edited by OhDark30; Dec 9, 2014 at 05:15 AM.
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

10. Likes oak1971 liked this post
    Shiny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

Yes, for sailors and their navigators, lume is critical at night.

Tritium tubes.

Thread ending photo:

Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Actually, even that is pointless.
    When does anyone really need to read the time when it's off the wrist, and from such a distance that once could not just grab to read it?
    Once one has grabbed it, one can feel which way is up, bcz of the crown.
    Here's the use case for you: You are snuggled up in the blanket and an arm is wrapped around you. The watch is on the bedside table. Reaching for it would required the horrors of exposing an arm to the cold air, or disturbing one's significant other. One might assume that the watch is always crown up in that position, but that isn't the only option.

The only time this has ever been an issue for me is while camping in chilly weather and zipped up in a sleeping bag. But the watch of choice for those conditions is a Seiko Black Monster, which is lumed up to the point of arousing nearby werewolves.

Truth to tell, the only times I actually need lume are occasions such as camping when I'm wearing some kind of diver anyway. Maybe three times in two years have I had to turn on the bedside lamp in a hotel, or press the button on my iPhone, to check the time (I always unplug the clocks in hotel rooms because of those pesky werewolves confused into thinking the unearthly glow indicates a full moon).

Rick "who does not wear a watch to bed" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.