Likes Likes:  66
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had CANCER, would you do CHEMO? Or something else?

If you had CANCER, would you do CHEMO? Or something else?

Not to be gloomy, just a question. And no, sorry, I don't have cancer.

BUT! If I did...
    I don't think chemo would be my first choice of treatment, if at all.
    Alright, it's a definite NO. Not doing it.

From someone who's suffered at the hands of Mr C. you have a sudden realisation of the shit you're in and you have to face some tough 'choices'.

That said I don't think I'd go for Chemo either , it seemed like a pretty goddam awful 'choice'

I think you have me confused with yourself, Mr S.
    I don't t recall you ever suffering at the hands of any Mr C.
    I am gentle as a lamb with my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Not to be gloomy, just a question. And no, sorry, I don't have cancer.

BUT! If I did...
    I don't think chemo would be my first choice of treatment, if at all.
    Alright, it's a definite NO. Not doing it.
    I hope you will never find out. And you won't know, unless you get the diagnosis.

A very close friend (called her my "little Sister") who I shared a house with passed away just under 2 months ago from cancer. She was just diagnosed near the end of May.

I'm sure many of us have had someone close to us with cancer, some who've survived and some who did not. My Mother had it 3 or 4 times. It was not what ended her life. It is of course such a broad ranging disease, with such a wide scope of prognoses, that there is no way to make such a call without knowing more of the circumstance (is it operable? Considered terminal? Are there promising alternative or experimental treatments? Is the chemo expected to extend life significantly by statistics, or even cause a full remission?). The broad range of different chemo therapies itself is a huge huge field and to be of consideration.

I have another good friend (now in his mid 70s) that has had cancer 4 times (might count it as 3). Prostate (cured surgically a decade or more ago), kidney (found in both kidneys at the same time, though they say it does not travel from one to the other- again, surgery, removing one and removing about 1/3 of the other), and colon (removed half). These last were 3 and 7 years ago IIRC. He leads an almost completely normal life. He chose not to do chemo, as the stats read about the same either way in his case.
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

5. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    i'm really not sure this is a suitable thread for hypothesis on here - although i realise " no, sorry, I don't have cancer. " is said ironically - there may well be some who have or waiting to know if they have - who knows what decision given that dreadful news one would take -given that the choices are very limited - you do or you don't !

7. Likes chrono555 liked this post
    I don't t recall you ever suffering at the hands of any Mr C.
    Name:  stupidboy.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  47.9 KB

9. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    I was given one of drugs that is used in chemo for something else and in a tiny tiny quantity compared with its use in chemo. It completely wrecked my ability to function and I said to the doctors Next Please!

Clearly if you're in a position where these drugs are something necessary for your survival then you're somewhere where your previous opinions and thoughts will have become pretty irrelevant.

11. Likes shameless, oak1971 liked this post

If you had CANCER, would you do CHEMO? Or something else?

If your body is alkaline instead of acidic, tumors can't grow. I'd start there if I didn't already try to ingest alkaline stuff.

13. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post
    I had Chemo and Radiation in the early 70's. I was 3 years old and had leukemia. All the protocols were experimental at that time. It was not fun, but I am still alive.

For 3 years I was in treatment continuously. Even after i was able to leave the hospital I had to return weekly for treatments and spinal taps. The thing I still cringe about today is the spinal taps. It gives me the willies even thinking about it.

Today we know that radiation to the head of a child is bad ju ju. You run a high probability of growing up to find you are a moron. I am probably more moronic than I would have been, but it beats a dirt nap.
    Last edited by oak1971; Dec 8, 2014 at 05:07 PM.

15. Likes Bwana, Der Amf, Ryan, Chronopolitano, Rob liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Not to be gloomy,
    Name:  this_thread_gave_me_cancer_by_piratesadventure-d5f6o9n.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  34.4 KB

Now start being un-gloomy as if the thread hadn't been started
    Last edited by Seriously; Dec 8, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: removing an ing

17. Likes Bwana, Chronopolitano liked this post