Likes Likes:  66
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had CANCER, would you do CHEMO? Or something else?

Old Fogey Support Team chrono555's Avatar
    At the car, just fetching your zimmer frame.
    My Dad's just been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in the last month and (ironically) starts chemo later this week.
    As others have said, chemo's not a walk in the park, but considering the alternative you'll take whatever keeps you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by chrono555 View Post
    My Dad's just been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in the last month and (ironically) starts chemo later this week.
    As others have said, chemo's not a walk in the park, but considering the alternative you'll take whatever keeps you alive.
    But there are alternativeS - in the plural, no?

He's meaning the grim reaper as the ultimate alternative

The alternatives you speak of don't always work

4. Likes chrono555 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    He's meaning the grim reaper as the ultimate alternative

The alternatives you speak of don't always work
    Red: DUH!

Green: Neither does Chemo. My sister went through it.
    After a while, she just said, "This is some BS, F it," and died.
    So, I would look into all the alternatives. What would I have to lose?
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Dec 8, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    So, I would look into the alternatives. What would I have to lose?
    Yeah, but don't do chemo , it's shit

Before Mr C (not you) comes knocking on your door, you have a certain way of thinking IF you were to be diagnosed with it - won't happen to me, I'm superman, I've got this far.. blah blah.

Kinda changes your whole outlook when you ACTUALLY get diagnosed.

I got told "a bit of surgery" , and I should be alright , BUT it might need chemo.. and after reading the side effects I sure hoped I was just gonna need surgery.....

Sorry to hear about your sis
    Last edited by Seriously; Dec 8, 2014 at 02:55 PM.

7. Likes Chronopolitano liked this post
    As some of you know, I unfortunately have intimate knowledge of the cancer battle...after 16 months/ 7 days a week at the hospital with Hailey(granddaughter)...it's a brutal battle for most all patients. Decisions will always come down to quality of life, and how long you want to live. Even with traditional treatments, your will to live...your desire to fight is the true cure to the "Black Beast".

There are many types of cancer, and different treatments apply to each...but technology today dictates Chemo and radiation as the most effective manner of KILLING cancer. Even if surgery will remove the most effected area, follow up treatments of radiation may be needed. Chemo destroys cancer cells, and destroys the patient's body as well..it's a fine line to walk, akin to drinking Drano to clean the system. It's the "accepted" form of treatment today, and careful/constant testing/screening is imperative.

I'm not a fan of the "system", but it's the only proven method they have available today. There are other options, but you may be rolling the dice without a dedicated medical team. Without regimented blood-work & scans, you won't know the results of alternative treatments. Chemo steals your "thunder", takes your will to live..wants you to quit living, wants you to die.

I'd look into Hailey's black hollow eyes, and see her slipping away...see her soul being taken from us, see her doubting her own strength. My job was to kick her in the behind, bring her back to us, not let her give up, make it clear "we" don't go out like this, DEMAND the fortitude our family names deserves...and then I'd go out to the hallway and cry.

Summary:
    1)Chemo & radiation aren't the real problem, but instead the medication given to the patient to combat the side effects of treatment. Pain killers/Oxi/Anti-depressent regiments stop appetite, stop motivation, stop normal bowel moment,,,,alternative treatment is a MUCH better manner of dealing with these issues.
    2) I sometimes wonder if "they" really want to cure cancer, the amount of revenue derived by hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, etc...is beyond comprehension.

When death looks you in the eye, decisions are much harder to make...it's not always about what you want, but the loving family you will leave behind. Your personal decision will effect the well being of your family, financially and emotionally. Watching someone getting ripped apart from the inside, is true horror...when it's a child, it flat pisses you off..and makes you question your faith, and everything your life's foundation is built on.

Cancer is like racism: It's unnecessary in todays world, it needs abolished from society, it has to be openly discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    But there are alternativeS - in the plural, no?
    No. Surgery is out, and radiotherapy isn't on the table, leaving just chemo. So the alternative in this case, is do nothing and have a not very nice demise.
    Last edited by chrono555; Dec 8, 2014 at 04:23 PM.

No. Surgery is out, and radiotherapy isn't on the table, leaving just chemo. So the alternative in this case, is do nothing and have a not very nice demise.
    He'll need your support, help him fight, give him your strength daily....there is hope, keep the faith...don't give up.

Best wishes

11. Likes chrono555, Seriously liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    He'll need your support, help him fight, give him your strength daily....there is hope, keep the faith...don't give up.

Best wishes
    Thanks Bwana, much appreciated. I think we're trying to look at it realistically, while he's trying to make light of what's coming.
    Glad your Hailey came through it. It's bad enough for adults, but when it's kids that's just a kick in the teeth. x

13. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Thanks Bwana, much appreciated. I think we're trying to look at it realistically, while he's trying to make light of what's coming.
    Glad your Hailey came through it. It's bad enough for adults, but when it's kids that's just a kick in the teeth. x
    Make it your mission to kick it's ass, let him see you holding down the ship/knowing you have his back. Fight tooth & nail for his best treatment, examine the "roadmap" of his treatment carefully, don't allow the hospital/doctors to make the decisions...you know him best, you will know when he needs a break...these decisions are YOURS, don't allow the "powers to be" to control his destiny...you stay in touch with the details, you make the calls....not them, it's your right as a human.

Watch the daily pill program, it will be his biggest hurtle....he can't stay strong, or keep his will to live...laying on a couch stoned out of his mind sleeping all day. Look into alternative methods & drugs(hospital won't have these, nor condone them). Control everything that hits his body, learn everything about HIS cancer that you can.

Kick it's ass, and laugh another day...best wishes for your Dad & family.

15. Likes chrono555, Henry Krinkle, jsw41 liked this post