Likes Likes:  153
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: After a four years wait...just arrived.

Smile After a four years wait...just arrived.

We're in the early 50s. The French Ministère de la Defénse is counting on an order of a few thousand chronos Type 20 to be delivered, according to their own specifications: function retour en vol (flyback); 38mm steelcase; black dial with white luminescent hands and marks; automatic movement with a minimum of 38h power reserve; acceptable precision: -8 to +8s/day; chronograph functions performing a minimum of 300 operations without failure. The goal was to equip the pilots in the Armé de l'Air, the Marine Nationale and the Centre d'Essais en Vol with appropriate chronographs.
    Auricoste, Dodane, Vixa (in association with Hanhart) and Breguet fulfilled the request.

Name:  P5270003.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  398.5 KB

In 1954 was the turn of Breguet: 2000 chronos type 20 was the order coming from the Ministère de la Defénse; the Breguet Type 20/5101/54 was born.
    Later on (1958) 500 watches were going to equip the Aéronautique Naval and in 1960, 50 pieces would go to the Centre d'Essais en Vol.

Name:  P5270001.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  418.5 KB

But not all type 20 were the exact the same watch. The trusted Valjoux 22 with a flyback module (Valjoux 222) was the primary choice, however, the watches for the Aéronautique Naval had a magnetic shield and a 15 minutes counter, while the chronos for the Armé de l'Air had a 30 minutes counter and dispensed the magnetic shield. The Centre d'Essais en Vol had two models: bi and tricompax, both with a 15 minutes counter.

Name:  P5270012.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  394.8 KB

The watches were not exclusive for the military, because, meanwhile, Breguet also produced a couple of thousand for the civilian market. In fact,three generations of the Type 20 were produced: the 1st during the period1950s-1960s, the 2nd covered the years 1970s-1980s and the 3rd, from 1994, still remains in the Breguet catalogue (but only the Aeronavale version).

Name:  P5270009.JPG
Size:  316.4 KB

Now, why am I cleaning the dust from all those uninteresting stories? Am I bored to death? Don't I have a lot of work to do? Yes, but…there's aTransatlantique quietly resting on my wrist…

Name:  P5270008.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  278.7 KB

Most of you know – and I always repeat this - I never had a grail, I don't have a grail and I'm pretty sure I'll never will (I'm talking about watches, here ). Maybe some of you remember – or probably not – something I've mentioned still in the 'other place' four (almost) five years ago: sooner or later, I would have to get a Breguet Type XX.

Name:  P5270002.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  362.6 KB

The modern type XX is a small watch – by today standards. The diameter is a bit over 39mm and its thickness around 14mm. The case rests perfectly on the wrist and the very short lugs doesn't make the watch uncomfortable. The case is highly polished and the sides have that typical Breguet cannelé we know so well, perfectly executed. Since I chose the - now - discontinued Transatlantique (the model with the date on the dial) its finely brushed bezel (polished on the Aeronavale) happily breaks the strange feeling of a bit too much bling. By the way, the bidirectional bezel has 60 detents and works as it should: not too heavy, not too sloppy. The package is good enough for 100m WR and that's ok.

Name:  P5270011.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  468.2 KB

A beautiful made metal bracelet, unfortunately doesn't provide any kind of fine adjustment. I'm not going to wear it, anyway. The 21mm lugs are terribly unwelcome, though. The only strap I had at home with the exactdimensions was the Hirsch Duke. I'll take care of that, later.

Name:  P5270020.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  358.5 KB

The movement, the cal. 582Q, everybody knows it's Lemania based (1372).While well finished, it's far from lavishly ornamented; rhodium plated plates and bridges, nice perlage shown in the main plate and the usual Côtes de Genèveare the chosen decoration for the rotor and bridges… and that's it.
    The movement does not hack and the chrono is a cam lever system. I can feel the purists already protesting…

Name:  P5270016.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  371.9 KB

Let's see if I can resume the watch main characteristics: flyback chrono; 100m WR, date @ 6; tri-compax layout; screw-down crown; arabic numerals; black dial; sapphire (convex) crystal; bidirectional bezel; automatic non-hacking movement; 48h PR; adjusted in five positions.

Name:  P5270024.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  439.1 KB

Finally: why did I buy it?
    Did I get a fair (impossible to refuse) price? I would say: reasonably fair,yes.
    Did I need a flyback chrono? No.
    Did I get mad? Its always a possibility to take into consideration. I would say no, but that was to be expected, in any case, so, it doesn't count.
    So, why? This is going to sound so shallow…but here it goes: per mio diletto. As simple as that.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by CFR; May 27, 2016 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    We're in the early 50s. The French Ministère de la Defénse is counting on an order of a few thousand chronos Type 20 to be delivered, according to their own specifications: function retour en vol (flyback); 38mm steelcase; black dial with white luminescent hands and marks; automatic movement with a minimum of 38h power reserve; acceptable precision: -8 to +8s/day; chronograph functions performing a minimum of 300 operations without failure. The goal was to equip the pilots in the Armé de l'Air, the Marine Nationale and the Centre d'Essais en Vol with appropriate chronographs.
    Auricoste, Dodane, Vixa (in association with Hanhart) and Breguet fulfilled the request.

In 1954 was the turn of Breguet: 2000 chronos type 20 was the order coming from the Ministère de la Defénse; the Breguet Type 20/5101/54 was born.
    Later on (1958) 500 watches were going to equip the Aéronautique Naval and in 1960, 50 pieces would go to the Centre d'Essais en Vol.

But not all type 20 were the exact the same watch. The trusted Valjoux 22 with a flyback module (Valjoux 222) was the primary choice, however, the watches for the Aéronautique Naval had a magnetic shield and a 15 minutes counter, while the chronos for the Armé de l'Air had a 30 minutes counter and dispensed the magnetic shield. The Centre d'Essais en Vol had two models: bi and tricompax, both with a 15 minutes counter.

The watches were not exclusive for the military, because, meanwhile, Breguet also produced a couple of thousand for the civilian market. In fact,three generations of the Type 20 were produced: the 1st during the period1950s-1960s, the 2nd covered the years 1970s-1980s and the 3rd, from 1994, still remains in the Breguet catalogue (but only the Aeronavale version).

Now, why am I cleaning the dust from all those uninteresting stories? Am I bored to death? Don't I have a lot of work to do? Yes, but…there's aTransatlantique quietly resting on my wrist…

Most of you know – and I always repeat this - I never had a grail, I don't have a grail and I'm pretty sure I'll never will (I'm talking about watches, here ). Maybe some of you remember – or probably not – something I've mentioned still in the 'other place' four (almost) five years ago: sooner or later, I would have to get a Breguet Type XX.

The modern type XX is a small watch – by today standards. The diameter is a bit over 39mm and its thickness around 14mm. The case rests perfectly on the wrist and the very short lugs doesn't make the watch uncomfortable. The case is highly polished and the sides have that typical Breguet cannelé we know so well, perfectly executed. Since I chose the - now - discontinued Transatlantique (the model with the date on the dial) its finely brushed bezel (polished on the Aeronavale) happily breaks the strange feeling of a bit too much bling. By the way, the bidirectional bezel has 60 detents and works as it should: not too heavy, not too sloppy. The package is good enough for 100m WR and that's ok.

A beautiful made metal bracelet, unfortunately doesn't provide any kind of fine adjustment. I'm not going to wear it, anyway. The 21mm lugs are terribly unwelcome, though. The only strap I had at home with the exactdimensions was the Hirsch Duke. I'll take care of that, later.

The movement, the cal. 582Q, everybody knows it's Lemania based (1372).While well finished, it's far from lavishly ornamented; rhodium plated plates and bridges, nice perlage shown in the main plate and the usual Côtes de Genèveare the chosen decoration for the rotor and bridges… and that's it.
    The movement does not hack and the chrono is a cam lever system. I can feel the purists already protesting…

Let's see if I can resume the watch main characteristics: flyback chrono; 100m WR, date @ 6; tri-compax layout; screw-down crown; arabic numerals; black dial; sapphire (convex) crystal; bidirectional bezel; automatic non-hacking movement; 48h PR; adjusted in five positions.

Did I get a fair (impossible to refuse) price? I would say: reasonably fair,yes.
    Did I get mad? Its always a possibility to take into consideration. Iwould say no, but that was to be expected, in any case, so, it doesn't count.
    So, why? This is going to sound so shallow…but here it goes: per miodiletto. As simple as that.

Thanks for reading.
    Beautiful! Love the attention to detail with the lug link on the bracelet having opposite coin lines to interlock with the case.

3. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1, tempocalypse liked this post
    Looks great, on and off wrist. I think the size is perfect, too.

Congrats on the kill after such a long hunt.

5. Likes watchdaddy1, CFR liked this post
    Stunning C. I'm not really a chrono guy, but this is just one of the most iconic designs out there. Absolutely beautiful.

7. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post

Did I get mad? Its always a possibility to take into consideration. Iwould say no, but that was to be expected, in any case, so, it doesn't count.
    So, why? This is going to sound so shallow…but here it goes: per miodiletto. As simple as that.

Thanks for reading.
    simple lovely but then you know I got a weak spot for an old chrono
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

9. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Beautiful, Breguet! That is definitely high on my list of favorite chronographs. And I give a lot of credit to Breguet for keeping the size reasonable.

11. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Absolutely beautiful C! Congrats on a truly special new arrival!

Thanks for taking the time to provide the in-depth write up and all the awesome photos!!!

A truly beautiful and iconic piece for sure. Enjoy it!
    Cheers,

Chris

13. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Congrats, C. It's very nice looking.

15. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Excellent, C. The Type XX has caught my eye on more than one occasion, not least when I saw a birth year model on the Omega forum. Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the price asked. It's a lovely piece, with the unique Breguet flavor that they somehow successfully transplanted from a dress watch to a chrono with great subtlety. Big congrats!

17. Likes JAGtime, CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    What a wonderful story. Your enthusiasm is palpable, I love it when someone hunts and chases a gra...great watch like this! Amazing photography, as always of course. Aesthetically, for me, there are a fair few of yours I'd save first from a fire, but that's because you've curated such a fine stable. Breguet would probably be the 4th of the big 3 Swiss brands so well done! Wear in the very best of health, c.

Why a 4 year wait?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

19. Likes JAGtime, iyonk, CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post