Likes Likes:  153
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: After a four years wait...just arrived.

That is just gorgeous C and a perfect size, as far as I am concerned. Just lovely.

And may I say that like you I do not have or believe in a grail watch. There are watches that are more desirable and less desirable. That one is more desirable, by a fair bit.

2. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1, JAGtime liked this post
    Simply one of the best post and excellent writing/pictorial of a more than stunning watch!
    awesome gentleman like you deserve all of these insanely gorgeous watches C..

if i can sum in 3 words.. it would be..

'I Hate You'

4. Likes Greg, CFR, watchdaddy1, JAGtime, stew77 liked this post
    My apologies for the late reply. Thank you all for your comments and kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Beautiful! Love the attention to detail with the lug link on the bracelet having opposite coin lines to interlock with the case.

Thank you, Preston. Very well spotted. The attention to detail is one of the strong points of this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Looks great, on and off wrist. I think the size is perfect, too.

Congrats on the kill after such a long hunt.
    Thanks. I also think the size is just about right: it doesn't wear small, though.

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Stunning C. I'm not really a chrono guy, but this is just one of the most iconic designs out there. Absolutely beautiful.
    Thank you very much.

I believe it is. I'm crazy about chronos. But by now, I'm sure that's not a secret...

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    simple lovely but then you know I got a weak spot for an old chrono
    I know; we both have. Thank you, Ismy.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    Beautiful, Breguet! That is definitely high on my list of favorite chronographs. And I give a lot of credit to Breguet for keeping the size reasonable.
    Thanks, Brian. So do I. The new type XXI/ XXII just feels a bit unbalanced to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by stew77 View Post
    Absolutely beautiful C! Congrats on a truly special new arrival!

Thanks for taking the time to provide the in-depth write up and all the awesome photos!!!

A truly beautiful and iconic piece for sure. Enjoy it!
    Thanks a lot. Hope my terrible English didn't damage to much the small text I thought useful to present.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    Congrats, C. It's very nice looking.
    Thanks a lot, Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Excellent, C. The Type XX has caught my eye on more than one occasion, not least when I saw a birth year model on the Omega forum. Couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger at the price asked. It's a lovely piece, with the unique Breguet flavor that they somehow successfully transplanted from a dress watch to a chrono with great subtlety. Big congrats!
    Thanks, Mlcor. I could never afford a vintage type 20. And I'm not so sure it would be a great idea. They're very expensive to service and often in a debatable shape.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What a wonderful story. Your enthusiasm is palpable, I love it when someone hunts and chases a gra...great watch like this! Amazing photography, as always of course. Aesthetically, for me, there are a fair few of yours I'd save first from a fire, but that's because you've curated such a fine stable. Breguet would probably be the 4th of the big 3 Swiss brands so well done! Wear in the very best of health, c.

Why a 4 year wait?
    Thanks, Geoff. Your question makes perfect sense. Four years was the time I needed to get the watch in the exact conditions I wanted: Transatlantique version with metal bracelet, luminova lume and the chance to get the watch tested (rate and pressure) before the purchase. Add a two year warranty by the seller, who is also my watchmaker, and I suppose it begins to make a bit more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    Well done, C! It's a beauty for sure, and has some history to go with it. It's interesting to me that the 15-minute sub-dial puts the emphasis on 3-minute increments.

Great addition to your collection!

Cheers,
    Jim
    Thanks, Jim.

Actually, it's a 30 minutes dial disguised as a 15 minutes dial. Doesn't improve it's legibility, but its a nice touch, if its origin are taking into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    per mio diletto

For my beloved?

Lovely thing, though - whether it's for you or your wife.
    Thanks Alan.

The italian expression was used only as a mean to show how dilettante - you may call it even shalow - my approach was.

I think it's more along the lines of, "because it gives me pleasure." If so, I can see why...
    Exactly.

I think it's a 30 minute sub-dial, so every two minutes...
    Precisely.

You may be right about that. If so, then I think it's an example of Breguet retaining the look of the 15-minute totalizer, yes?
    Yes, Jim. That's exactly how it works.

Maybe. C's history lesson teaches that they made both 15 and 30 minute versions (although I'll bet all the civilian versions may have used 30). Having no numerical markings was undoubtedly a way to use the same dial for both versions.
    Again, absolutely right, Mr Mlcor.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Congrats C after such a long wait.

Thanks for the story behind it. Not "uninteresting" at all. I like the way you tell a story.

I find the history and what makes this chrono special very interesting. It would have otherwise been just another very nice chrono.
    Thank you Greg. I though some context was in order. Not sure I succeed, but I did try...

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Very
    Thank you very much, Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    fabulous addition to your fabulous collection C -wonderful illustrations and information also - i will use that word again 'incorrigible' -but i use it in the light hearted sense that we cannot change you and that you are unrepentant in the pursuit of beautiful pieces
    You're right, Peter. You know me well.

Thanks, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGtime View Post
    Congratulations, C! What a magnificent watch and fascinating history. I am so happy you were able to find this watch, and may it bring you great "diletto"!

Jane
    Thanks, Jane. I'll make my best to enjoy this new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    That is just gorgeous C and a perfect size, as far as I am concerned. Just lovely.

And may I say that like you I do not have or believe in a grail watch. There are watches that are more desirable and less desirable. That one is more desirable, by a fair bit.
    Thanks, Henry. We have very similar thoughts on this 'grail problematic'.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    Simply one of the best post and excellent writing/pictorial of a more than stunning watch!
    awesome gentleman like you deserve all of these insanely gorgeous watches C..

if i can sum in 3 words.. it would be..

'I Hate You'
    Fair enough: I also hate you...NOT.

To conclude: I really, really appreciated all your comments. Again, thank you very much.
    Last edited by CFR; May 28, 2016 at 02:01 AM.

6. Likes iyonk, Jazzmaster, JAGtime, Greg liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Dude, it looks awesome. I was always a fan of that design. Gorgeous.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

8. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Dude, it looks awesome. I was always a fan of that design. Gorgeous.
    Thanks, Raza. I know you're also a good fan of chronographs - yes, I read your blog.

10. Likes Raza liked this post
    C--one of the reasons I was tempted by the vintage one is that it had a full service two years ago. I think it cost close to 2000 Euros...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes CFR, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    I think it cost close to 2000 Euros...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ooops. Expensive, indeed. And I'll have to admit that I'm starting to have some doubts and difficulty to accept the idea of keeping an old and expensive chronograph. Too many things can go wrong with those watches...
    Last edited by CFR; May 28, 2016 at 02:16 AM.

14. Likes mlcor, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Stunning C ...

You suck by the way ...very nice acquisition w/ a great story..
    Achieving a pursuit = Priceless

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap
    Last edited by watchdaddy1; May 28, 2016 at 02:59 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

16. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    Stunning C ...

You suck by the way

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap
    What did I do?!

Thanks, William.

18. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Congratulations C!! Absolutely beautiful watch, and one of my favourite designs. So classically simple and functional. I'm so pleased for you!

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

20. Likes JAGtime, CFR liked this post