Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still waiting...

Still waiting...

...for Santa to bring me this:

And because I hit the wrong button, you'll have to wait for the next post (Tapatalk doesn't upload images during edit and the manage attachments dialog doesn't work on an iPhone)

Rick "momentary pause..." Denney
    Last edited by Rdenney; Dec 8, 2014 at 07:20 PM.
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

Okay, let's try this again:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418070089.836521.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  65.2 KB

This is an 18k reference 2953, 35.5mm in diameter. The movement dates from '45 or '46, and so this watch was produced still during the reign of Jacques-David LeCoultre, grandson of the founder, who died in 1948.

Santa's had this in her keeping for several months, but I sneaked it out of her hiding place today. It had come without a seconds hand, and by miracle I found the correct blue hand. The miracle was aided by realizing that the seconds-hand pinion is the same part number for both the 12-1/2''' caliber P450/4C (as in this watch) and the ~9''' caliber 820, which was used in smaller watches. Their dials put the minute track on the outer edge, and this one is around the inside of the chapter ring and therefore uses hands the same length (funny that).

The blued seconds hand really sets it off.

Now, hopefully Camille Fournet will get me that strap I've ordered.

Rick "who couldn't resist a quick iPhone shot while it was out of hiding" Denney

God that's beautiful - there's nothing in the world like properly blued steel to pull the beauty of a dial into perspective.

4. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    Now, hopefully Camille Fournet will get me that strap I've ordered.
    Love the watch , how can I put this : ......glad you've ordered a strap

Despite the date you're mentioning, it has an art deco/1920's look to it (to me) , very nice

6. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    Love the watch , how can I put this : ......glad you've ordered a strap
    I love seeing a fine watch on a Speidel Twistaflex band. It really helps moderate the price. That, and the missing seconds hand, though there is precisely zero indication on the movement side as to why it was missing.

Rick "noting the seller's tag claimed the watch was from the 60's" Denney

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I need to find my pics of my Master Mariner!

thanks for sharng,

Dan

Savagely Average
    Very nice, impressed that you found a seconds hand for such a rare, aged watch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rdenney View Post
    I love seeing a fine watch on a Speidel Twistaflex band. It really helps moderate the price. That, and the missing seconds hand, though there is precisely zero indication on the movement side as to why it was missing.

Rick "noting the seller's tag claimed the watch was from the 60's" Denney

Blog Entries
    Lovely watch. Shows that JLC was ahead of its time in styling if that is a late 40s watch. Generally this style is reminiscent of the 1950s.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

12. Likes Rdenney liked this post
    The strap came in today, while Santa was at work.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418411915.700245.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418411991.207502.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  67.8 KB

Rick "back into hiding" Denney

14. Likes DJW GB, Dan R, Chronopolitano, RayMac, MHe225 liked this post