Likes Likes:  13

Thread: Don't think Ive ever shown this.

Don't think Ive ever shown this.

One of the two watches that got me into this bad, bad, bad expensive hobby. There was this broken pocket watch at my wife's folks place. It sat on the mantle and my wife's Mom referred to it as "Dad's watch" and C and I always assumed she meant C's Dad. C's folks had said they tried to get it fixed but were told it couldn't be done. I suspect they tried in the late seventies and probably took it to a department store watch repair. After C's Mom passed we cleaned out her condo and I decided to take it in to "that cranky old guy in Dave's building". Horst tracked down the required bushings and gave the watch a gentle polish within three weeks.

I present my wife's Grandfather's 1905 size sixteen seven jewel lever set South Bend. Her Grandfather emigrated from Norway to Minnesota, where else?, in the 1880s and then up to Saskatchewan sometime before my wife's Father was born, pre-1912. He brought this along with him:

The porcelain dial has one small crack by the lever.

As far as we can ascertain the only parts that are not original are the replaced bushings. It has spent it's entire 109 years in the same family.

Here is a painting I did of the movement.

Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Dec 9, 2014 at 04:25 PM.

2. Likes marlowe55, Dan R, nelamvr6, DJW GB, jsw41, Ryan, OTGabe liked this post
    Shaken, not stirred.
    That's a beaut and it's particularly pleasing to read that it's a family heritage watch, obviously well loved.
    Superb painting BTW.
    You can always earn more money but you can't earn more time.

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Wonderful watch! Congrats on getting it repaired. That can take an act of Congress it seems.

Enjoy it in good health!

Dan

6. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Gorgeous watch with an interesting story, thanks for sharing the history and the pictures!

8. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Thanks guys. I am not overly sentimental but it is nice to have a few things with a bit of history behind them.

What a great looking watch, and well looked after.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

11. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Lovely watch but incredible painting. Those curves speak of some impressive motor skills.

13. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Lovely watch but incredible painting. Those curves speak of some impressive motor skills.
    Thank You! I have been painting as long as I can remember.

Gorgeous.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

16. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post