Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Longines Heritage 1935 : A Reissue of a Czech Pilot Watch-- Photo Review

The Longines Heritage 1935 : A Reissue of a Czech Pilot Watch-- Photo Review

The Longines Heritage 1935 : A Reissue of a Czech Pilot Watch

Last year Longines introduced the 1938 Military Heritage Collection, a series of three watches that celebrated World War II era Longines watches. The collection featured such stylistic callbacks as large Arabic markers, track style indices, thin straps, and a matted dials. This year, Longines has introduced a more aviation themed Military watch with the Heritage 1935. The Heritage 1935 is a reissue of a watch that was made for the Czech Air Force. The original watch combined a series of features that were popular in the era such as a cushion shaped case, matted dial, fluted bezel, and large Arabic numbers into an unusually large case for the time period.While this year's Heritage 1935 has much in common with the piece it is based on, there are many differences with the piece that inspired it. While the original's 41mm case made it large for its era, the 1935 is a large watch by today's standards. It features a 42mm case that has similar surface area to a current production TAG Heuer Monaco. Since the dial is round, it doesn't seem to wear as large as it actually is. Where the original would have featured an acrylic crystal, the Heritage 1935 features a raised sapphire crystal. It isn't as high a dome as the crystal on such signature Heritage pieces such as the Longines Legend Diver or the Omega Sapphire Sandwich Moon Watch, but it still comfortably clears the fluted bezel by a mm and adds to the heritage feel.The "heritage" style sapphire crystal on the Heritage 1935 simulates the look of an acrylic crystal from the time period of the source material.The strap Longines chose for this model is padded alligator with high contrast stitching that is similar in feel to the straps used on the Master Collection, although it features slightly less padding. While the original was a three hand watch without any complications, the Heritage 1935 features a small date window at the base of the six o'clock sub-dial.
    The alligator strap features slightly less padding than in the Longines Master Collection.A question with any Heritage piece is what kind of treatment to give the hands and numerals. In recent years many pieces have featured a cream tone to simulate age and patina. This simulation of vintage has been used in modern editions including the Jaeger-LaCoultre Deep Sea Chronographs, Tudor Black Bay, and Longines' own Legend Diver. The Heritage 1935 departs from this aged look by having hands and indices that are as white as they would have been the day that a Czech pilot put would have put it on in 1935. The lume on Heritage 1935 piece is particularly strong with the hands and hour markers all made out of Superluminova.

A lume shot of the Heritage 1935.The Heritage 1935 retails for $2,300, the same price as a Longines Legend Diver on the sailcloth strap. While not a limited edition, each piece is individually numbered. Below are more photos of the Heritage 1935.

The caseback of the Heritage 1935.

2. Likes OTGabe, tribe125 liked this post
    I like it, what's the lug to lug dimension Rob ?

I usually like Longines - I've nine modern Longines - and this watch is nice but I have some reservations: first, the date: I would rather have a dateless dial. Second: the small seconds is too close to the center of the dial; small movement in a big case, I suppose. Third: the fluted bezel should be marked and rotate; it's unmarked and fixed, becoming completely useless.
    Now, don't get me wrong: the watch is nice (as I said before) and I'm sure many will like it, but unfortunately, I'm afraid this model is not for me. Sorry.

I do like coin edge bezels though, most I've seen don't rotate.

I had these for a bit..the rare Seiko ANA Pilot
    Name:  Seiko ANA1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  48.8 KB

And the Limes Nightflight
    Name:  Limes Nightflight2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  59.4 KB

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    I do like coin edge bezels though, most I've seen don't rotate.

And the Limes Nightflight
    Name:  Limes Nightflight2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  59.4 KB
    In a pilot watch, they should.

I like that Limes

8. Likes Bwana liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    In a pilot watch, they should.

I like that Limes
    I've seen the Zenith & IWC that rotate, just didn't know that was the norm...thought the coin edge was a standard "old school" look.

I've seen the Zenith & IWC that rotate, just didn't know that was the norm...thought the coin edge was a standard "old school" look.
    I really don't know if there is a "norm", but most pilot watches of that era used the bezel in a (roughly) similar way, divers do today. Not a big deal, actually, but I guess this could have been a nice detail.

And here is my Hamilton, the same style and the same fixed bezel (but at a different price point, though)

Name:  H_Khaki_Pioneer_9.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  402.2 KB
    Last edited by CFR; Dec 9, 2014 at 08:28 PM.

11. Likes Bwana, Teeritz, T Bone liked this post
    I know Tutima had a true pilot with the rotating coin bezel, but alas it was too big for me. The New Longines is nice, but the date does bother me a bit.

I know Tutima had a true pilot with the rotating coin bezel, but alas it was too big for me. The New Longines is nice, but the date does bother me a bit.
    Agreed.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    Another nice release from Longines. Thanks Rob!