Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Longines Heritage 1935 : A Reissue of a Czech Pilot Watch-- Photo Review

I agree this would better without the date.

CFR - that Hamilton is sweet!

2. Likes CFR liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Those Spirit models were nice. Longines didn't keep them as part of their catalogue for very long. Same with the Expedidtions Polaires Francais Paul-Emile Victor.

It's interesting that some of these lower-tier brands such as Longines, Tissot and Hamilton have managed to make some nice re-editions. I don't mind this Czech pilot's watch, but I wish it were a few mil smaller.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

It makes me a bit sad that a name as venerable as Longines has to place the date window and small seconds where the standard issue movement says they're going to go. The date window looks bizarre in this design, but without it the small seconds being too far up would be more noticeable.

I guess there are market research based instructions from further up the food chain saying that all products have to be autos with dates.

Of course having in house movements wouldn't solve the problem necessarily: Nomos has the same problem with location of small seconds when putting their alpha movement into a 38mm case.

(I'm now wondering how troublesome it would be for eta to make their standard movements with larger date wheels, but I think that's a topic for a different thread)

5. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It makes me a bit sad that a name as venerable as Longines has to place the date window and small seconds where the standard issue movement says they're going to go. The date window looks bizarre in this design, but without it the small seconds being too far up would be more noticeable.

I guess there are market research based instructions from further up the food chain saying that all products have to be autos with dates.

Of course having in house movements wouldn't solve the problem necessarily: Nomos has the same problem with location of small seconds when putting their alpha movement into a 38mm case.

(I'm now wondering how troublesome it would be for eta to make their standard movements with larger date wheels, but I think that's a topic for a different thread)
    Agreed and this puzzles me a bit. Back to the 50s/ 60s the small seconds were well integrated. I know the watches were smaller, but we could - generally - find a pratical and aesthetical relation between movement and dial. Unfortunatelly, nowadays, the watches seem to be designed around generic movements, the cases got larger and larger and, excluding a few exceptions, designs turn out a little bit odd. But this is only the opinion of a non-expert.

Name:  Chronoswiss Sirius 6.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  147.1 KB
    It doesn't look that difficult, does it?

7. Likes Der Amf, JAGtime liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

CFR - that Hamilton is sweet!
    Thank you, gnuyork.

I know there was a lot of buzz about these at Basel. As others have noted most of the Heritage line has been well done and well received. These modern vintage watches are a soft spot for me. I'll have to try one of these on. I just wish Swatch would see fit to give Longines and Hamilton a few more exclusive movements (above the column wheel chronograph) befitting the watches. Sorry I've become a movement snob.
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 10, 2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

I really like the look of Zenith's pilot watches as well. I really wish they started making them in 40mm or sub 40mm cases.

Something about the combo of a knurled bezel + onion crown + large numbers is really appealing to me.

Isn't the L688.2 movement a variation of the 7750 with the column wheel mechanism? I wish Longines had some truly exclusive movements of their own!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I know there was a lot of buzz about these at Basel. As others have noted most of the Heritage line has been well done and well received. These modern vintage watches are a soft spot for me. I'll have to try one of these on. I just wish Swatch would see fit to give Longines and Hamilton a few more exclusive movements (above the column wheel chronograph) befitting the watches. Sorry I've become a movement snob.

Like the case, have not decided on the coin-edged bezel.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Blog Entries
    I snagged a few vintage copies of National Geographic earlier today and, lo and behold, in this issue;

Attachment 4662

Was this advertisement;

Attachment 4663

Featuring this watch;

Name:  PC110369.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  78.2 KB

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

14. Likes OTGabe, CFR liked this post