Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 strangers in a room: Who sets the tone / topic of conversation?

Exclamation 2 strangers in a room: Who sets the tone / topic of conversation?

"Imagine two people on a blind date. Who sets the tone? Who picks the topics? You might think it’s the more attractive person. The factors influencing conversational dominance are not what you might expect.

Joseph Manson, a professor of anthropology, and colleagues at UCLA, analyzed what happens when strangers are told to make conversation.

Manson recruited 105 college students, organized them into three-person, same-sex groups, and told them to talk about whatever they wanted. The topics they ended up covering were fairly predictable; most groups discussed their majors, their hometowns, their class year. Manson videotaped the conversations and used a few measures to figure out who was dominating the conversation: How many words did each person contribute? Who determined the topic? Who did more of the interrupting?

Then, they looked at how several factors affected conversational dominance. Age
    had a small effect: Older students were slightly more likely to determine the topic of conversation. People from wealthier zip codes were less dominant, which Manson attributes to a kind of cool indifference. “It’s almost like they’re disdainful of new acquaintances,” he said. “They kind of disengage. They already have friends.”

Surprisingly, ... social status, and facial attractiveness had no significant effect on conversational dominance.
    Similar experiments have shown that people will accommodate or even mimic a more attractive stranger’s conversational preferences and habits. If, for example, two women are paired for conversation, the less attractive woman often starts to mimic the vocal pattern of the prettier one.

Manson discovered one factor that was by far the best predictor of conversational dominance: students’ scores on a psychopathy questionnaire.
    There are two facets of psychopathy, Manson explained. One, “primary psychopathy,” has to do with being callous and manipulative; the other, “secondary psychopathy,” is marked by impulsive and anti-social behavior. They’re “somewhat correlated,” he told me, but they lead to opposite effects: “People who are high on primary psychopathy dominate the conversation—they tend to be glib and charming.” People high on secondary psychopathy, meanwhile, are less likely to dominate.
    "

Hmm...
    Regards, T Bone

Even a broken watch shows correct time once or twice a day. I ought to know, I have a few!

"Who sets the tone? Who picks the topics?"

I do.

Rick "psychopath" Denney
    More than 500 characters worth of watches.

According to more than one test, I am 68-76% psychopath.

I grew up in a snooty zip code, even if I don't live in one now.
    Maybe that explains why I don't make small talk with strangers, and ignore all those who attempt to do so with me..

PS: If Montaigne (no slouchy snootmeister himself, I am sure) and I happen to sit next to each other on the plane, we'd have a very quiet flight indeed, and never know we were sitting next to each other.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Dec 10, 2014 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drunken monkey View Post
    According to more than one test, I am 68-76% psychopath.
    Just took a psychopath test - I'm fine. I usually lead the conversation, usually because I'm half cut. I'm sure alcohol would affect this test too.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes Ben liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Just took a psychopath test - I'm fine. I usually lead the conversation, usually because I'm half cut. I'm sure alcohol would affect this test too.
    Yes I'm sure I'm pretty 8 Ace-y myself

Blog Entries
    If Montaigne (no slouchy snootmeister himself, I am sure) and I happen to sit next to each other on the plane

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

10. Likes Chronopolitano, M. Montaigne liked this post
    Just did a test too, and I am not a psycopath, trust me. Now were do you guys live exactly?

12. Likes vinylgreek liked this post
    I took 2 tests: One said NO, I am not a psycho.
    The other said I MIGHT be.
    Incorrect assessment. I love my time alone as much as I do with people I enjoy.

Sometimes you are a little distant from other people. You are no stranger to difficult times and a little depression, but overall, you are fairly friendly, outgoing and enjoy the company of others. You don't like to be on your own too much, you are very empathic, and you do feel bad when you see someone in need (heck, you might even help others from time to time!)
    Don't worry about your potential to become a psychopath, as long as you keep yourself surrounded with good people and a healthy lifestyle, you will be fine!