Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 strangers in a room: Who sets the tone / topic of conversation?

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Who sets the tone? Who picks the topics?
    Not me ! When the mood takes me (most of the time); I can be the most unsociable person I know. I'd wait for the other party to say something interesting (to me) before joining in the conversation.
    Besides, I already know I'm a psychopath; I've just not been given the opportunity to let it flourish
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

I do just fine without any tests......just wish those damm yellow flying snakes would quit following me........
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

"Imagine two people on a blind date. Who sets the tone? Who picks the topics? You might think it’s the more attractive person. The factors influencing conversational dominance are not what you might expect.

Joseph Manson, a professor of anthropology, and colleagues at UCLA, analyzed what happens when strangers are told to make conversation.

Manson recruited 105 college students, organized them into three-person, same-sex groups, and told them to talk about whatever they wanted. The topics they ended up covering were fairly predictable; most groups discussed their majors, their hometowns, their class year. Manson videotaped the conversations and used a few measures to figure out who was dominating the conversation: How many words did each person contribute? Who determined the topic? Who did more of the interrupting?

Then, they looked at how several factors affected conversational dominance. Age
    had a small effect: Older students were slightly more likely to determine the topic of conversation. People from wealthier zip codes were less dominant, which Manson attributes to a kind of cool indifference. “It’s almost like they’re disdainful of new acquaintances,” he said. “They kind of disengage. They already have friends.”

Surprisingly, ... social status, and facial attractiveness had no significant effect on conversational dominance.
    Similar experiments have shown that people will accommodate or even mimic a more attractive stranger’s conversational preferences and habits. If, for example, two women are paired for conversation, the less attractive woman often starts to mimic the vocal pattern of the prettier one.

Manson discovered one factor that was by far the best predictor of conversational dominance: students’ scores on a psychopathy questionnaire.
    There are two facets of psychopathy, Manson explained. One, “primary psychopathy,” has to do with being callous and manipulative; the other, “secondary psychopathy,” is marked by impulsive and anti-social behavior. They’re “somewhat correlated,” he told me, but they lead to opposite effects: “People who are high on primary psychopathy dominate the conversation—they tend to be glib and charming.” People high on secondary psychopathy, meanwhile, are less likely to dominate.
    "
    Wait a minute. This guy, this professor at UCLA nonetheless, who's doing research on psychopathy has the last name of Manson.

Blog Entries
    as long as you keep yourself surrounded with good people......you will be fine!
    Uh oh.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Dec 10, 2014 at 02:49 AM.

5. Likes Martin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by thewalrus View Post
    Wait a minute. This guy, this professor at UCLA nonetheless, who's doing research on psychopathy has the last name of Manson.
    This seems fairly consistent with that august institution's character.

Savagely Average
    I tend to let people that I do not know set the tone, because it allows me to get a feel for who I am dealing with before I speak. If I walk in and they are too introverted to set the tone, it does not bother me to do so.

Blog Entries
    Guess which type of psychopathy I have...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    Not me ! When the mood takes me (most of the time); I can be the most unsociable person I know. I'd wait for the other party to say something interesting (to me) before joining in the conversation.
    Besides, I already know I'm a psychopath; I've just not been given the opportunity to let it flourish
    I waffle between introverted and extroverted. I've taken the Myers-Briggs personality test about a dozen times in my life and I've scored I about half and E about half. And the spread between the two is always 49/51 or 51/49. Weird, isn't it?

PS: If Montaigne (no slouchy snootmeister himself, I am sure) and I happen to sit next to each other on the plane...
    No offense, but I'd either be flying the plane or I'd be alone with no commoners around to cramp my style.

(Unless they're nubile young women, preferably speaking a foreign language...)

Savagely Average
    My preference on a plane is to simply take a nap