Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Ebola?

What happened to Ebola?

Yet another 'apocalyptic' news story rides off, into the sunset?

Sent from my GT-I9505

2. Likes Seriously, Nokie liked this post
    I can't speak for other countries.. But here in Denmark they talk a lot about it still.. Mostly in radio, but they had a debate last week, and a about an hour with a "diary" with a nurse just got home.. So still very much alive sadly

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-

Kim Kardashian's miasmic bum killed it. All of it. The story AND the virus.

5. Likes picklepossy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoa View Post
    I can't speak for other countries.. But here in Denmark they talk a lot about it still.. Mostly in radio, but they had a debate last week, and a about an hour with a "diary" with a nurse just got home.. So still very much alive sadly

-Sent using Rock, Paper and the occasional Scissors-
    We had the 'suspected case of Ebola' scares on an almost daily basis here in Ireland, around the time of the outbreak.

I read 17,000 cases world wide with approx 50% deaths. .

It just grates on me how the media scare monger so much about these things and then nothing. .

celebrity and disaster is all you get in the news these days..no real stories!

Sent from my GT-I9505

The media got bored, people are still dying, but that doesn't matter because there is a celeb on the beach today and she's put weight on

Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    It just grates on me how the media scare monger so much about these things and then nothing. .
    Well they've got to make room for christmas stories... and some 'and finally' claptrap.

9. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Pretty sure I read that the World Health Organisation said that we had 60 days to contain Ebola about 3 months ago. Does not even rate a mention on the news here in Australia any more.
    Regards Cam

Watches
    Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster 3510.50, Oris 1965 Diver, Tissot Visodate, Junghans Max Bill Auto, Helson Blackbeard, Seiko PADI Turtle, Tag Heuer F1

11. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Savagely Average
    The media stopped receiving the traffic per article on the topic that they were originally receiving.....so they moved on to the new buzz words. After logging onto a major news site and seeing 7 articles about ebola, I figured this was imminent and likely to happen very soon

It's still regularly reported here, with lots of fund raising going on. I think it's pretty apocalyptic for the countries affected to be honest.
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

14. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Check out this article on one of my friends who left Uganda to volunteer his medical services against Ebola;

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/08/he...ath-.html?_r=0

Ebola is still very much alive and kicking, cases are still coming forward daily in large numbers, see this article;

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-30400304

To be honest the problem is poor governance from the initial Ebola host countries and a complete lack of education and cultural difficulties.
    Various accusations ranging from witch craft to the white persons plague sent to Africa show a genuine lack of education from the governments involved.
    These theories are allowed to fester and spread, imagine a makeshift hospital was stormed by rioters and all infected patients escaped back into the public.

Additionally burial practices in that region contribute significantly to the huge number of cases.
    In that part of Africa hugging and washing the dead body is commonplace which of results in ridiculous spread of the disease.
    Various videos can be seen on YouTube where dead bodies are lying on the street with the public going on with their business.

Ebola outbreaks have occurred several times in Uganda but our government is extremely well organized when it comes to these occurrences.
    I imagine the outbreaks come from our shared border with Congo which still remains vastly unexplored due to the ravaging war that has been ongoing there for untold decades.
    Bush meat is eaten regularly in Congo due to the incapacity to farm livestock.
    To support my theory all of our cases have been in the west in areas close to the border.

Our worst case was in 2007 with 183 deaths, this is due to strict control on the situation with hospitals and the military acting fast and moving in to prevent any spread.
    In fact quite a big number of our doctors have gone to west Africa to help out as Uganda is generally considered to be an Ebola veteran with lots of knowledge.

The spread of Ebola is easiest to contain by quarantine and fear, fear comes naturally to sensible people but quarantine is not easy and you cannot do it without an effective army.
    Unfortunately the countries most affected such as Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea have limited infrastructure due to civil wars and poor governments so there was not much they could do.
    Look at the surrounding countries like Mali, Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal, they have a combined death toll of 6 as opposed to the other 3 countries 6,600.
    That's the effect of good governance and infrastructure, some of them might be third world countries but they can effectively protect themselves and control their borders.

Ebola is very much still in effect but imo the shock factor has hit the public and now the media has moved onto other things.
    It's the same with Ukraine, Syria, and various other current tragedies that lose the large scale media interest that they initially have for the first month or so.
    Modern day news is dominated by trash like Kim K's ass and how Lebron made a booboo by touching Kate during their photograph.

16. Likes pepperami liked this post