Likes Likes:  1

Thread: ALS and the case of the incredible shrinking case(s)

ALS and the case of the incredible shrinking case(s)

Did you guys see that ALS is shrinking down several of their dressier models?

Hodinkee explains it all below. But perhaps most notably the 37mm handwind saxonia is being reduced to 35mm.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/a-lange...-line-for-sihh

I for one think 38mm maaaaaybe 37mm is about as small as I can go without it taking away from the watch.

What say you?

I like the fact that Lange is coming out with different sizes for their 1815's and I guess now the Saxonia line. I think a basic truth is that we are not all built the same physically and wrist sizes and shapes vary. Mix in subjective individual tastes/preferences and I think it breeds more sales for a watch manufacturer. As long as the movements are not out of line with the different sized cases, I think it's a smart move . . .

3. Likes Chase liked this post
    Maybe it has to do with the Asian market?
    TAG Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Chr. Ward C5 Malvern MkII

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WillMK5 View Post
    Patek seems to highly covet the Asian market and their case sizes seem to be going in the opposite direction of ALS's. But I'm not sure how ALS is doing in the Asian market. Does anyone know (someone obviously knows)?

I know VC is very well regarded in the Asain markets and they don't have particularly small cases. That doesn't prove much though.

Maybe they are just listening to the purists? Who knows. 35mm is too small for me. Not that I can afford one anytime soon anyway.
    TAG Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Chr. Ward C5 Malvern MkII

For the women who like to deal in unisex sizes?

I'm going to an A. Lange event tomorrow, I'll see if I can work this question into the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMK5 View Post
    No. I've been around Asia.
    They ALSO like their watches big. Or biggish: 42mm.
    Panerai and IWC are some of the biggest sellers in Asia. And they don;t make em small.