Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impulse eBay buy

Impulse eBay buy

I placed a bid on this Glashutte 09-20 watch that I believe is authentic and unrestored, and just won it for $105. I understand that it's not collectable, nor is it a particularly fine watch, but figured it would be fun addition to the collection nevertheless. Hopefully I didn't overpay too much for it.

Name:  $_57-1.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  56.2 KBName:  $_57-3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  40.4 KBName:  $_57-2.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  59.8 KB

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

2. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    It looks right, doesn't it?

I think it looks correct. It's identical as far as I can see to this one here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/help...a-1012404.html

and stuffler,mike indicated that the example on that thread looked authentic.

On this thread,

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/diff...1021968-2.html

OhDark30 has a nice example, which is also quite similar, but with slightly different hands.

Patek Philippe
    Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Baume & Mercier Hampton Annual Calendar; Tudor Black Bay.

Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field H70555863; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull 818.900 Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN017P1; Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51.

Bargain. The font is the same as the GO; any relation, or just same region?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Bargain. The font is the same as the GO; any relation, or just same region?
    It's from the GDR era - Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (GUB.) GO and Lange were formed out of the remnants of GUB, but it's hardly a straight line from pre-GDR through to the current day - even if GO sometimes lays claim to the whole history. The story is a subject in itself.

7. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    It was pointed out on the other forum that the dial was a bit misaligned, so I pointed it out to the seller and hopefully it was addressed before they shipped out the watch.

Patek Philippe

Looks like a good pickup. I can see that the dial is misaligned but at least that's fixable if it's not corrected before shipping. The real test will be seeing the dial very close up to make sure it hasn't been touched up but it looks good from the picture you have. Congrats!

Is it just the photo angle, but I can't figure out why the printing looks skewed a little counter clockwise?
    Last edited by Samanator; Dec 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

So, my watch finally arrived, it is 34.8mm in diameter, 8.2mm in thickness. The dial might still be very slightly misaligned, but it's not really noticeable on the wrist. It was +2 min/day on the Timegrapher when fully wound, so I popped open the casebook and regulated it to about +15 sec/day, and decided it was close enough, since it doesn't feature a fine regulator and without a second hand, the drift wouldn't be so noticeable anyhow.

The pressure fitted caseback had a flat rubber gasket which appears to have deteriorated, so I removed it and I'm waiting for a replacement gasket to arrive. In any case, without a pressure test, I can only assume that this vintage watch has no water resistance to speak of.

It has a beautiful and simple dial, and I'm very happy with the watch, and the condition is excellent for a watch of this vintage (it's at least 25 years old, and possibly much older).

Patek Philippe

12. Likes Mediocre, geoffbot, Der Amf, DM71 liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Glad to hear it worked out!