Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple o' new Grand Seiko models...

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Forgot about the 031:

The SBGW031 is a perfectly balanced watch, just wish they used the proper hands. The SBGR007 is 18K WG and used the outdated 9S51. If you don't mind the 9S51, or a pretty used watch in general, Grand Seiko made a few other models using it. They're just so hard to find used.

Really hope for some new 'simple' models without a date.

is there any news or rumours about updating the 9F movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bidle View Post
    Really hope for some new 'simple' models without a date.
    Same. GS's insistence on date windows on so many of their models ruins the symmetry and often looks out of place.

5. Likes Bidle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    For those well-versed in Grand Seikos - is there any reason most of them are so thick at 13mm? Does it have to do with the movement? I love how they look, including the textures, simplicity, and how they're finished, but I guess I'm just not used to a 37 x 13 watch.

some nice specimens there.I went to Az Fine Time last weekend & spoke w/ Joe & I think all the Seiko fans are in for a truly surprising year the way he talks about the up & coming models for 2015.
    Such good looking pieces ,clean lines, pristine dials the whole shebang.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

8. Likes Domo, I-B liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed Brown View Post
    For those well-versed in Grand Seikos - is there any reason most of them are so thick at 13mm? Does it have to do with the movement? I love how they look, including the textures, simplicity, and how they're finished, but I guess I'm just not used to a 37 x 13 watch.
    The thickest GS movement excluding the chronograph is the GMT 9S66, at 6.6mm thick, so while GS (and Seiko movements generally) aren't the slimmest, they're not super thick or anything. My SBGA075 is spring drive (5.1mm thick movement) AND has a display caseback, yet is only 11.9mm thick, while my SBGX091 is quartz, solid caseback and 10.9mm thick. The height comes from the dial work. The hands are spaced pretty far apart and the markers are tall. If you want a thin model, the dress models with the fully polished case and screwed on case back are listed around 11-12mm thick, yet I'd guess a good 2mm or more is box sapphire crystal, so they don't actually LOOK thick. Another reason they wear so well is because the case has so much complexity in it's shape. They don't have any slab-sided watches so even my SBGJ005 is 14mm thick, it doesn't look it at all.

10. Likes Der Amf, Hayseed Brown liked this post
    ETA 2892 - - - - 3.6mm
    Omega 2500 - 4.1mm
    ETA 2824 - - - - 4.6mm
    Omega 8500 - 5.5mm
    Rolex 3135 - - - 6.0mm
    Seiko 9S66 - - - 6.6mm
    ETA 7750 - - - - 7.9mm

Sorry can't find other 9S heights. On a list of historical Seiko movements not much was sub-5mm
    Last edited by Der Amf; Feb 4, 2015 at 07:27 AM.

12. Likes Hayseed Brown liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    The height comes from the dial work. The hands are spaced pretty far apart and the markers are tall. If you want a thin model, the dress models with the fully polished case and screwed on case back are listed around 11-12mm thick, yet I'd guess a good 2mm or more is box sapphire crystal, so they don't actually LOOK thick. Another reason they wear so well is because the case has so much complexity in it's shape. They don't have any slab-sided watches so even my SBGJ005 is 14mm thick, it doesn't look it at all.
    Great points. Thanks. Case shape I have certainly considered, but didn't think much about the box sapphire crystal (which looks awesome).

If anyone is interested, in today's "Watch Snob" column, someone wrote in asking for help picking a stainless bracelet watch that's pretty simple with little or no complications. The guy was considering a Ball (not sure which model) and a Zenith Espada. The Snob told him to get a Grand Seiko.

14. Likes Domo liked this post
    Never realised that the Rolex 3135 was so tall (and taller than the Omega 8500 which gets much criticism for its height)

16. Likes Der Amf liked this post