Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What books would you recommend to anyone?

What books would you recommend to anyone?

Someone asks you, do you know any good books I should read? And your answer is?....

Mine:

American Gods- Neil Gayman

Cryptonomicon- Neal Stephenson

I am Legend- Richard Matheson

2. Likes M. Montaigne liked this post
    that's a bit hard if you said what author then that's a little easier.
    terry pratchett / douglas adams / jack higgins / dean r koontz / frederick forsyth / jrr tolkien
    just a few off the top of my head but to say top three books don't know it I could narrow it down that far will have to have a good think on that one
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    that's a bit hard if you said what author then that's a little easier.
    terry pratchett / douglas adams / jack higgins / dean r koontz / frederick forsyth / jrr tolkien
    just a few off the top of my head but to say top three books don't know it I could narrow it down that far will have to have a good think on that one
    Well, I wrote three, but there is really no limit, just go ahead and name what you would recommend!

top of my head

frederick forysth -The Shepard

j.r.r tolkien - the hobbit

jerry ahern - the takers

jules verne - around the world in eighty days

and all terry pratchett books

well that a start lol

oh yes and complete works of Shakespeare including the sonnets
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    oh and fact based I found richard Larn/Clive Carter - cornish shipwrecks the south coast . a fascinating read
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes bolaberlim liked this post
    Only non-fiction; Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything, and sort of sequel At Home answer some fascination questions about the world and its history from the big bang - a series of incredible and unbelievable facts, tied nicely together and easily digested. Ever wondered the origin of the saying 'piss poor'? Read it. It's not very funny, like his other books.

Anyone recommend anything like this? Useful, interesting knowledge, kinda thing?

10. Likes bolaberlim, Ryan liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Only non-fiction; Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything, and sort of sequel At Home answer some fascination questions about the world and its history from the big bang - a series of incredible and unbelievable facts, tied nicely together and easily digested. Ever wondered the origin of the saying 'piss poor'? Read it. It's not very funny, like his other books.

Anyone recommend anything like this? Useful, interesting knowledge, kinda thing?

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, not funny at all but a fascinating read, it's about medicine, alternative and conventional, and deals with healing claims that are not supported by evidence and with the placebo effect. Very easy read.

Love Bill Bryson BTW

Quote Originally Posted by bolaberlim View Post
    Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, not funny at all but a fascinating read, it's about medicine, alternative and conventional, and deals with healing claims that are not supported by evidence and with the placebo effect. Very easy read.

Love Bill Bryson BTW
    Added to my Christmas wishlist - thank you.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Nelson Mandela - Long Walk to Freedom

What an incredible story about one of the worlds outstanding examples of a leader.
    If you haven't read this you must, it instills faith in Humanity.

Clint Willis - The Boys of Everest

I love adventure, I live in Africa.
    Great book about how the most difficult unclimbed peaks were finally conquered by the best climbing generation ever seen.

Conn Iggulden - Conqueror series and Emperor series

I love reading about the vast historical empires before the invention of guns.
    These two series revolve around the rise and fall of the Genghis Khan dynasty and Julius Caesar respectively.
    I learnt so many interesting facts from these books and they are quite inspirational.
    My favourite being that a Mongol archer could hit a man sized target 550 yards away with an arrow, if you play golf you can understand how ridiculous that is.

14. Likes bolaberlim, Ryan liked this post
    Conn Iggulden is awesome! The Caesar series was really good, and the Khan is too, I haven't read the latest one yet!

On a similar topic, "The Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield about the Battle of Thermopylae, awesome read as well!