Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Longines Heritage 1935 : A Reissue of a Czech Pilot Watch-- Photo Review

I agree this would better without the date.

CFR - that Hamilton is sweet!

Blog Entries
    Those Spirit models were nice. Longines didn't keep them as part of their catalogue for very long. Same with the Expedidtions Polaires Francais Paul-Emile Victor.

It's interesting that some of these lower-tier brands such as Longines, Tissot and Hamilton have managed to make some nice re-editions. I don't mind this Czech pilot's watch, but I wish it were a few mil smaller.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

It makes me a bit sad that a name as venerable as Longines has to place the date window and small seconds where the standard issue movement says they're going to go. The date window looks bizarre in this design, but without it the small seconds being too far up would be more noticeable.

I guess there are market research based instructions from further up the food chain saying that all products have to be autos with dates.

Of course having in house movements wouldn't solve the problem necessarily: Nomos has the same problem with location of small seconds when putting their alpha movement into a 38mm case.

(I'm now wondering how troublesome it would be for eta to make their standard movements with larger date wheels, but I think that's a topic for a different thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    It makes me a bit sad that a name as venerable as Longines has to place the date window and small seconds where the standard issue movement says they're going to go. The date window looks bizarre in this design, but without it the small seconds being too far up would be more noticeable.

I guess there are market research based instructions from further up the food chain saying that all products have to be autos with dates.

Of course having in house movements wouldn't solve the problem necessarily: Nomos has the same problem with location of small seconds when putting their alpha movement into a 38mm case.

(I'm now wondering how troublesome it would be for eta to make their standard movements with larger date wheels, but I think that's a topic for a different thread)
    Agreed and this puzzles me a bit. Back to the 50s/ 60s the small seconds were well integrated. I know the watches were smaller, but we could - generally - find a pratical and aesthetical relation between movement and dial. Unfortunatelly, nowadays, the watches seem to be designed around generic movements, the cases got larger and larger and, excluding a few exceptions, designs turn out a little bit odd. But this is only the opinion of a non-expert.

Attachment 4563
    It doesn't look that difficult, does it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post

CFR - that Hamilton is sweet!
    Thank you, gnuyork.

About 4-5 years ago, when I bought my Longines (Czechoslovak Airforce) I sent an email to Longines in Switzerland if they were interested in recreating it. I got an email back that stated that they had no plans in doing that.
    So I bought the modern replica from a British manufacturer.
    Nice to see that they have done it, after all!

I will visit the local AD, but I think this one is a no buy.
    Date - disturbs the harmony of the dial
    No rotating bezel
    No red arrow movable by the bezel.
    Not sure about the dial colour, will see when I have seen it in the flesh..
    The text "Automatic" - not needed on the dial

My comment to Longines: Job badly done! Timefactors did a far better job!