Likes Likes:  6

Thread: An interesting case of "Going to War" over $4

An interesting case of "Going to War" over $4

The more I think about it, the more I side with professor Edelson.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...5iM/story.html

I admit it: Sure, I too did the kneejerk, but in the end rationality always wins for me. Or so I hope.

My conclusion?
    The disclaimer " Prices Subject to Change without Notice" should be illegal.
    What BS.

I agree with the principle but too much work IMO. If the restaurant owner just readily apologized for the mistake and gave the whole order for free, this maybe could have been avoided. I would just let karma deal with the $4.
    seiko · orient · casio · timex · rolex · omega · victorinox · suunto · steinhart

Children need your help. Please share your blessings...
    UNICEF - http://
    www.unicefusa.org
    CARITAS -
    http://www.caritas.org/
    NO KID HUNGRY -
    http://www.nokidhungry.org/

See, that's I mean. It is NOT about $4 at all! Or even $12.

The prof did some serious work that brought to light how social media sites "cheat" people with their less than transparent policies.
    And nobody gave this guy any kudos for that, did they.

It seems to me that the prof was out for the principle of CONSUMER protection - at all and any scale of transaction.

Let;s come back to watches:
    Who here would put up with "Prices subject to change w/o notice" disclaimer, and be OK with paying extra 8% of the listed price?
    I doubt it.
    Not cool.

And the restaurant owner's replies were rather cavalier - no time to update his website? Don't buy it. He is not running a hole in the wall. He has several restaurants. Etc.

So look at it this way: he makes, say, extra 20K a year that slips under the radar, and he does not have to include in his tax return.
    I think he could have used some of that to hire a web guy to update his website.

From the lawyer's blog, dated December 10, 2014:

"Many people have seen my emails with Ran Duan of Sichuan Garden restaurant in Brookline.

Having reflected on my interaction with Ran, including what I said and how I said it, it’s clear that I was very much out of line. I aspire to act with great respect and humility in dealing with others, no matter what the situation. Clearly I failed to do so. I am sorry, and I intend to do better in the future.

I have reached out to Ran and will apologize to him personally as well."
    Last edited by Ryan; Dec 11, 2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Added date, added " ".

Given the current cultural climate, I think this story would NOT have been one if the prof was NOT affiliated with a famous school that people irrationally associate with the "evil oligarchical 0.1%" etc. (Evil oligarchs come from all over, not just from a handful of schools.)

As for Mr Duan's "mom and pop" - again, it's the whole Norman Rockwellian "mom & pop" fantasy at work in this climate.

The prof had to back off. It wasn't worth pursuing, given the "image" and "symbolic values" of the players involved.
    Last edited by Chronopolitano; Dec 11, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

He should get together with the macadamia dame from the airline

7. Likes Ryan, Raza, Nokie, jsw41 liked this post
    He should get together with the macadamia dame from the airline
    Brillant!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

10. Likes Chronopolitano, Chase liked this post