Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum toolkit

Minimum toolkit

OK.. So as you probably know, I am about to start properly messing with taking watches apart.

What is the minimum kit I need?

I have a strap changing kit at the moment, £5 off Amazon including:

Jewelers knife
    Jewelers hammer
    Three pin things with grip handles
    Spring bar tool
    Adjustable clamp for screwing the case back
    Strap change tool
    Block that looks like some kind of mitre. I used to hold the bracelet in place.
    Tweezers
    Screwdrivers

Is the anything else I need as a minimum?

I will be adding additional items below:

Movement holder
    High quality tweezers
    Hand removing tool
    Head loupe 10x
    Last edited by T1ck; Dec 12, 2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Additional tools required

2. Likes Der Amf, is that my watch liked this post
    Are you going to mess with putting them back together too?

4. Likes Rocat liked this post
    well a lot of the tool kits you see on the bay are a bit naff to be honest. you would need a hand removing tool very small flat screwdriver a movement holder a back remover or a back press depending how it is on the watch but as I said it's a lot harder to do with quartz then mechanicals but worth a shot.
    If you are going to do that I would say order a new movement and replace the whole thing because by the sound of it.
    it has a issue with the intermediate wheel so could go again where if you just buy the movement all you got to do is screw it on or push it on the pins and replace the hands then in to case and align the spacer put in stem then spacer then close which would be a lot easier
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

The movement isn't in production, it's very unusual. Think it was JDM, too

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The movement isn't in production, it's very unusual. Think it was JDM, too
    that makes it a bit harder don't it I have found it harder to dismantle a quartz compared to a mechanical it's doable but it's harder possible get one that beat the hell up and use for parts Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  75.3 KB it's the part here where I have put the arrow is the problem so it got to be part way striped to put back so as I said if you could get one that's all beat up but had a sound movement it would still be the simplest way
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

If you're messing with taking movements out, you WILL get specks of dust on the dial and inside of the glass. Buy some rodico. Its like blutack, but for people like us.

Buy good quality tweezers with extremely fine tips.

Buy a head worn loupe. 10x mag should do it.

Buy some bottled patience.

9. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by man of kent View Post
    If you're messing with taking movements out, you WILL get specks of dust on the dial and inside of the glass. Buy some rodico. Its like blutack, but for people like us.

Buy good quality tweezers with extremely fine tips.

Buy a head worn loupe. 10x mag should do it.

Buy some bottled patience.
    Look on the whole experience as an opportunity to bond with the watch....slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Look on the whole experience as an opportunity to bond with the watch....slowly
    as Der Amf said ...Festina Lente ... lol it's Latin don't ya know haha
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    OK.. I added the suggestions to the list in the OP.

I missed out the Rodico for the moment, because making it work is target #1, making it neat is stage 2 :-)

We're all rooting for you