Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a thin case to you?

Blog Entries

What's a thin case to you?

It's no secret that I'm into sports, dive, and chronograph watches. The thought of some ultra-thin dress watch on my wrist just doesn't excite me at all.

We all have our own frames of reference and preference when it comes to these sorts of things. I mean, 40mm wide is probably the smallest I'd consider going, except in some cases where 39mm has appealed, but for many of you 40mm may already be too big. On a traditional round case shape, I don't really see myself going over 43 or 44mm again, though I'm sure we have plenty of 45mm PO owners who love their watches dearly (I've got a 45mm cushion case and a 52mm....I don't know if the case type has a name.....Suunto, so I'm not drawing hard and fast boundaries here).

So this brings me to this. I was reading a review where the reviewer takes time to note how thick the watch is, how thick it feels, how he didn't wear it with a shirt with a cuff, so he can't say for sure whether or not it would slip under, et al. The watch's thickness? A mere 13mm. Seems pretty thin to me, especially for a modular chronograph. Some of my daily wearers include a 15mm thick MM300, a 16.5mm thick B-1, and a 14.3mm thick Speedmaster. So when I got my Black Bay a couple days ago, at 12.7mm, I was pleasantly surprised at how thin it is. And that the reviewer was going on about 0.3mm more thickness, which feels basically imperceptible to me, really threw me. I've even read some Black Bay reviews talking about the Black Bay being a bit thick.

If 13mm isn't thin and 12.7mm isn't thin, then what's thin? What do you consider a thin watch? What do you consider a thick watch?
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

'Thinness' as with so many other things is relative. Relative to the wearer's preferences and relative to the other dimensions of a watch. If the proportions are too 'tall', it can throw things off. My Strela Chronos are a very manageable 38mm wide, but at 15mm high, they are bordering on top heavy.

My very heavy Rado Original XL Skelleton is 38mm x 10mm and feels very flat, partly due to a concave back and articulated lugs. Yet my JeanRichard at 44mm x 13mm feels and wears even flatter, though it is 3mm thicker.

For comfort under a cuff, 10mm is a good indicator, but again, this has a lot to do with shape of the case. So for instance my Diastar XL Chrono is 13mm thick, but due to its conical shape, the cuff slides over it quite easily.

My personal belief is that cushion cases generally wear more comfortably than round cases of the same size.

Blog Entries
    As you point out clearly, the definition of "thin" is relative both to your tastes and to the type of watch and shape of the case. I'm one of those old fashioned freaks who love an elegant thin watch, and I have learned that a thin 8mm case at 36mm diameter looks perfect (2209 deLuxe ultra-thin for example), that same 8mm thin case on a 40mm diameter looks pleasantly very flat (Nomos Ludwig example) and a 6mm thin 41mm watch like the Mondaine Simply Elegant looks odd - almost like a flat indentation on the wrist, the thinness makes the diameter look bigger. For me, I love watches with thickness from 8mm - 12mm, and no bigger than 42mm, preferably 40 or less - but the ideal thickness depends a lot on the case and visual cues (straight industrial sides? Incurved sides? Bezel?) This hobby has taught me a great deal about design, and shows me that every detail contributes to every other.

2209 - 36mm x 8mm

2209 - 36mm x 8mm

Nomos Ludwig - 40mm x 8.5mm

Mondain Simply Elegant - 41mm x 6.5mm
    Name:  MSE4.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  MonSE4Wr.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.7 KB
    Last edited by skywatch; Aug 1, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

yes as skywatch pointed out some of the russian 2209 come in very thin cases and the skagen do one that is unbelievable thin from memory

just looked and they go in at 5mm thick and some they do are class as norm at under 10mm

some pic's

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    As you point out clearly, the definition of "thin" is relative both to your tastes and to the type of watch and shape of the case. I'm one of those old fashioned freaks who love an elegant thin watch, and I have learned that a thin 8mm case at 36mm diameter looks perfect (2209 deLuxe ultra-thin for example), that same 8mm thin case on a 40mm diameter looks pleasantly very flat (Nomos Ludwig example) and a 6mm thin 41mm watch like the Mondaine Simply Elegant looks odd - almost like a flat indentation on the wrist, the thinness makes the diameter look bigger. For me, I love watches with thickness from 8mm - 12mm, and no bigger than 42mm, preferably 40 or less - but the ideal thickness depends a lot on the case and visual cues (straight industrial sides? Incurved sides? Bezel?) This hobby has taught me a great deal about design, and shows me that every detail contributes to every other.

2209 - 36mm x 8mm

2209 - 36mm x 8mm

Nomos Ludwig - 40mm x 8.5mm

Mondain Simply Elegant - 41mm x 6.5mm
    Name:  MSE4.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  MonSE4Wr.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  56.7 KB
    6.5mm!? Quartz, I imagine, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yes as skywatch pointed out some of the russian 2209 come in very thin cases and the skagen do one that is unbelievable thin from memory

just looked and they go in at 5mm thick and some they do are class as norm at under 10mm

some pic's

At that point, I imagine the metal is so thin I could probably bend the watch case with my hands.

7. Likes theague liked this post
    As per the above , my thin watch is a Zeno 3532 @7mm thin ... it's a peseux 7001 inside.

The watch that will have your eye out is my Halios PUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    At that point, I imagine the metal is so thin I could probably bend the watch case with my hands.
    apparently not on the one design not sure on the others but a friends got the the ultra-slim and as had it for ages and looks well and seems to have held it shape but I suppose it would not take a lot to bend it if not careful I suppose
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

and if you got the deep pockets The Piaget Altiplano 900P is 3.65mm thick

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    and if you got the deep pockets The Piaget Altiplano 900P is 3.65mm thick

Wow, it's so thin, they couldn't even put the whole movement inside of the case, some of it has to be on the dial!