Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the new Rolex Air King?

Blog Entries

What do you think of the new Rolex Air King?

The old Air King felt like a man's watch stuck in a bygone era. It was nice, but it was 6mm too small. The new one has a modern size that's 6mm bigger than the old one, and comes to the table with an observation flieger dial that also pays homage to the Explorer-type dial from the old Air King.

It's also got some splashes of color, with the lollipop seconds hand and the Rolex name being green rather than the black and white look of the Explorer.

I think it looks pretty cool, but I've yet to try it on. What do you think?
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Can't get on with the mixed numerals... Had it been all minutes it would have been great imo. Really like the green. But the 3, 6, 9 just feels like they needed to get rid of the old Explorer numbers and stuck them on here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Can't get on with the mixed numerals... Had it been all minutes it would have been great imo. Really like the green. But the 3, 6, 9 just feels like they needed to get rid of the old Explorer numbers and stuck them on here.
    When I first saw it, I felt the same way. But somehow, it grew on me.

No thanks. If you get rid of the term rolex and second hand, mixed numerals and 12 triangle you'd have a nice enough watch, that you'd call an Explorer.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

5. Likes gnuyork, GaryF liked this post
    If they did the same to the 3, 6 & 9 that they've done to the Explorer, it might be in with a shout; but I'm never going to get past that yellow crown
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    No thanks. If you get rid of the term rolex and second hand, mixed numerals and 12 triangle you'd have a nice enough watch, that you'd call an Explorer.
    When you say term, is that autocorrect for green?

Yes! Fun game isn't this 😉
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yes! Fun game isn't this 
    I think the mixed numerals are a legitimate beef. But the green Rolex and seconds hand, I actually kind of like that. A bit of color. Makes the watch stand out over older Air King models, which were nice, but small and ultra conservative.

Blog Entries
    Too much going on there for my tastes. I welcome the use of color, but somehow can;t get used to these colors on said watch. Between the numbers and colors, it reminds me of this lady that used to work for me about 30 years ago. Each day, she looked like her husband tossed her into the closet, shook it up big time, and she came out dressed in whatever she fell into. In other words, the Air King lacks a theme.

Dan

I don't like it at all. I just saw a blip in Men's Journal (somehow I have received a free subscription ) on this watch . They had a 1958 pictured next to it. The vintage was so much more classy. It may be small for today's standards, but with the new Air King there's not one thing I like about it, especially the mixed numerals. What a turd.