Likes Likes:  12,939
Page 790 of 893 FirstFirst ... 290690740780788789790791792800840890 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,900 of 8926

Thread: Food

Here's one for you Geoff.

Veg soup fixins. Parsley, oregano, basil, tomatoes, cayenne, garlic, carrot, celery. Red onion, green beans, yellow squash, Costa Rican green pepper, broccoli raab. Only the red onion and garlic did not come from the garden, though they are from the Farmers Market. I LOVE this time of year.

Name:  P8230525.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  84.4 KB
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 24, 2019 at 02:20 AM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

2. Likes geoffbot, gnuyork liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Oh my goodness! That's a lot of meat. It reminds me of the Hungarian Restaurant that is/was in Toronto near the university. It was called the Wooden Plate and every Monday they had the wooden plate special. $20, in late 80s devalued Canadian dollars, got you at least half a chicken paprikash, a giant schnitzel, rouladen, sausage and more plus Hungarian egg drops, veg and some peasant bread. Art students could eat for the week.
    Indeed. And with the Zloty at .25 exchange to $1 USD, the whole thing cost around $35 including beer. The contents of the sampler platter might be a bit much for non-experimental eaters to handle: smoked pork tongue, steak tarter with egg yolk (which was excellent BTW) three kinds of smoked sliced meats, smoked sausage, paté, pickled onions + mushrooms + cucumbers, huge chunks of butter, a bowl of rendered bacon fat (which we skipped, although my friend recalls having it occasionally in Slovakia)... and a ramekin of horseradish. As for the side of ribs, it was probably 60cm long and on a stack of chips that would sink a small barge. I can only imagine this kind of meal is for workers who burn 4,000+ calories a day.
    Last edited by skywatch; Aug 24, 2019 at 02:11 AM.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Indeed. And with the Zloty at .25 exchange to $1 USD, the whole thing cost around $35 including beer. The contents of the sampler platter might be a bit much for non-experimental eaters to handle: smoked pork tongue, steak tarter with egg yolk (which was excellent BTW) three kinds of smoked sliced meats, smoked sausage, paté, pickled onions + mushrooms + cucumbers, huge chunks of butter, a bowl of rendered bacon fat (which we skipped, although my friend recalls having it occasionally in Slovakia)... and a ramekin of horseradish. As for the side of ribs, it was probably 60cm long and on a stack of chips that would sink a small barge. I can only imagine this kind of meal is for workers who burn 4,000+ calories a day.
    I'd eat all of that though it would take days. I understand the side of bacon fat. Growing up we ate bacon fat and Roger's Golden Syrup sandwiches.

5. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Here's one for you Geoff.

Veg soup fixins. Parsley, oregano, basil, tomatoes, cayenne, garlic, carrot, celery. Red onion, green beans, yellow squash, Costa Rican green pepper, broccoli raab. Only the red onion and garlic did not come from the garden, though they are from the Farmers Market. I LOVE this time of year.

Name:  P8230525.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  84.4 KB
    Oh yes mate
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I'd eat all of that though it would take days. I understand the side of bacon fat. Growing up we ate bacon fat and Roger's Golden Syrup sandwiches.
    It was truly over the top for the two of us, and I have leftovers here in the hotel room that will probably not get finished. I really don't like waste, but a body can only take so much pork fat. After making a go at this, I can understand going vegetarian... at least for a while. I look forward to getting back to our garden and eating a big salad.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Delicious vegan burger - almost as good as the dead animal variant.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

10. Likes gnuyork, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Our first attempt at celery. I often find local celery unpleasantly bitter, but when our celeriac failed to germinate I figured "Hey! What the heck." Ours is not bitter. Yay! And all those celery leaves for Malaysian food.

Attachment 88649
    Grew some a few years back. Amazed how more taste than bought ones.
    Congrats. mate . Well done.

12. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    Grew some a few years back. Amazed how more taste than bought ones.
    Congrats. mate . Well done.
    Thank you. I have pretty limited garden space, but I think it has earned a spot in the garden. The sun is really hot in this part of the world but I feel like if I plant it parallel with the track of the sun and put beets in front of it to give it some shade I can get a whole row of it that is as good as this.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Aug 24, 2019 at 10:01 PM.

14. Likes Strela167 liked this post
    Hot sauce #4. This will be the mildest of all the hot sauces this year. I will be looking to have that delicous citrusy brightness that ajis have come to the forefront. I may use lemon almost exclusively as the preserving acid, with just a splash or two of pickling vinegar to give it a slight boost. I'll also add some yellow bell pepper to boost the sweetness.This should end up no hotter than Frank's and possibly even a bit milder.

Name:  P8240022.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  63.3 KB

16. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Thank you. I have pretty l have pretty limited garden space, but I think it has earned a spot in the garden. The sun is really hot in this part of the world but I feel like if I plant it parallel with the track of the sun and put beets in front of it to give it some shade I can get a whole row of it that is as good as this.
    Afaik cooler the better so very lucky indeed.
    Got the garlic out a few weeks ago , only started cropping the runner beans , late this year

18. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post