Likes Likes:  12,950
Page 825 of 893 FirstFirst ... 325725775815823824825826827835875 ... LastLast
Results 8,241 to 8,250 of 8930

Thread: Food

For Easter, tried something new... brined and braised a turkey breast in my new Lodge Dutch oven... I usually grill turkey but I think I'm out of propane. I have to say this might be the most amazing turkey I'ver ever had... made a Gravy from the vegetables and juices in the pot. Will definitely do again.

Blog Entries
    Happy Easter Meal! Watched mass streamed in live earlier in the day. Had a meal (rib roast) for six for just two of use due to social distancing. Happy Easter if that is what you celebrate!

Name:  IMG_7144.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7145.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  82.2 KB

Dan

Blog Entries
    Maybe it's not Easter-ish, but yummy regardless. From scratch chicken tikka masala with added spinach. Unlike the British approach to tikka masala, it's with coconut milk, so a bit lighter than the version with cream.

Name:  ChickenTikkaPalakx2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  72.3 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

Living in one of the two towns (Glasgow is the other) who claim the origin of chicken tikka masala, I thought the colour was down to the tomato soup that’s a legendary ingredient :-)

Your version looks delish, btw, Robert
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

5. Likes gnuyork, Henry Krinkle, Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    Living in one of the two towns (Glasgow is the other) who claim the origin of chicken tikka masala, I thought the colour was down to the tomato soup that’s a legendary ingredient :-)

Your version looks delish, btw, Robert
    Thanks, Kath! I have seen a few different recipes for tikka masala, and they do generally include tomato puree and cream - which I suppose is the same as tomato soup. However I don't think that explains the bright red color. Typically, the Indian tandoori paste used to marinate the chicken will have red food coloring in it (sometimes using a combination of anato seed and turmeric) and I believe that's the real reason for the bright red hue. Indeed mine has more of a brown color due to the spices and tomato, without the bright red food coloring. I typically use coconut milk instead of cream when I cook Indian style, because I think it just tastes better and it's more traditional.

7. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Maybe it's not Easter-ish, but yummy regardless. From scratch chicken tikka masala with added spinach. Unlike the British approach to tikka masala, it's with coconut milk, so a bit lighter than the version with cream.

Name:  ChickenTikkaPalakx2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  72.3 KB

I do the same.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

9. Likes skywatch liked this post
    A couple of weekend projects.
    I've been working on a sourdough starter made from organic whole red fife. This loaf is made from organic bread flour and dark rye and tat starter.

Name:  P4130231.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  59.8 KB

I also cured and cold smoke a largish lake trout fillet. As a cooked fish I like lake trout less than salmon and a lot less than steelhead. As a cured item I think I like it quite a bit more than salmon but I think steelhead is still the best. This is quite delicious though.

Name:  P4120226_01.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  81.3 KB

And these are those two things combined.

Name:  P4130246.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  62.9 KB

11. Likes boatme99, OhDark30, gnuyork, skywatch, Dan R, Volgo liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

And these are those two things combined.

Name:  P4130246.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  62.9 KB
    I absolutely LOVE making my own smoked steelhead. I agree, it has the best of both worlds - the fattiness of salmon but slightly less fishy, and tighter grain. The weather is just about right for me to do that soon!

13. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    I absolutely LOVE making my own smoked steelhead. I agree, it has the best of both worlds - the fattiness of salmon but slightly less fishy, and tighter grain. The weather is just about right for me to do that soon!
    The lake trout was a bit weird to work with. Even though it was a thicker fillet I used my regular cure time for steelhead and it came out really dense and the pellicile was rather strange looking; sort of grainy, not like a coating of thick oil. It tastes good though and the colour is quite spectacular.

15. Likes skywatch liked this post
    A house fave and dead easy to make; sesame chicken with broccoli.

Name:  P4140135.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  74.2 KB

17. Likes gnuyork, OhDark30, Volgo liked this post