Ooh happy birthday chap!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Happy Birthday Henry!
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Ooh happy birthday chap!
    Thanks guys!
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

New Chef’s knife. 8” Shun Classic picked up on sale from Amazon.

Super sharp right out of the box.

7. Likes crownpuller, Henry Krinkle, gnuyork liked this post
    Octopus my favorite starter

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

9. Likes litlmn, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    So, ten and a half months into aging the neither parm nor pecorino I became concerned about the appearance of a couple of dark blotches visible through the wax. I made a command decision and peeled the wax. There were indeed a few small spots of surface mold that wiped right off with the wonder of vinegar.

The cheese? By far the best cheese I have yet made. While it is clearly young for a parm style cheese, it has that distinctly nutty flavour that aged parms have and the use of local goat milk in addition to the local artisan cow milk has given the cheese a subtle yet distinct flavour that I can call my own. I have paid money for far worse parms more than a few times. This is a winner.

What to make with it? Why, clearly it should be a proper Roman style carbonara. That is no milk or cream. All dairy is my parm-erino.
    Name:  P9120054_01.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  P9120057.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  61.6 KB
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 15, 2020 at 03:37 PM.

11. Likes litlmn, Dan R, skywatch, Raza liked this post
    Not a fan of soft breads but we got a hankering for hamburgers, so... I made a sponge as a starter and then when I made the actual dough added buttermilk and a cup of old sourdough made from a rye starter. Both of these will work to enhance both the flavour and structure of the finished product, which admittedly came out rather attractive for what it is. By the way, the rise on these was enormous, since I normally am baking heartier sourdough loaves.

13. Likes Dan R, Raza, geoffbot, gnuyork liked this post
    Blog Entries
    We have two small feijoa trees in our yard (also called pineapple guava) and this year they are very productive, dumping their fruit on us all at once. I go through once or twice a day and pick up the ripe fruit on the ground, and it builds up in baskets until I need to do something before it rots. That's when I make jam. Maybe 100 little sage colored fruit, sliced in half, firm tart flesh scooped out with spoon. Takes about an hour or two. Results in jars pictured, will be gifts for close friends and family, and should last us until next year (and not to mention we are only 1/4 through the autumn harvest, so there will be much more of these and others, like fuyu persimmons.) The flavor of feijoa is very special, almost more smell than taste - naturally imbued with spice overtones like cinnamon and coriander, otherwise a bright tropical fresh flavor, like a cross between pear and pineapple, aromatic perfume. A treat!

Name:  FeijoaJam+fruit22Sep20.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  78.1 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

15. Likes geoffbot, litlmn, gnuyork, Henry Krinkle liked this post
    The kind of year it's been in the garden. These are from exactly the same seed, planted on the same day, transplanted otudoors on the same day. The small yellow ones are the typical size and colour of all my habaneros this year. The large orange ones were outside until less than a month ago, when I brought this one plant in. That is the only difference between these. My outdoor Scotch bonnets are the same as the habaneros, though they produced a decent amount of berries.
    Name:  P9230023 copy.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  55.5 KB
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 23, 2020 at 01:59 PM.

17. Likes gnuyork, skywatch liked this post
    Decided I wanted a loaf of pain de campagne today so I started the poolish last night. Started making the loaf itself this morning only to discover I somehow didn't have yoghurt. Oh, well buttermilk is always on hand. I did a straight volume swap. The dough was a little wetter and a little softer and the loaf rose a little further than I was looking to achieve, but overall it looks OK.

Name:  20200926_095859 copy.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  139.2 KB
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Sep 27, 2020 at 01:51 AM.

19. Likes Dan R, geoffbot, gnuyork liked this post