Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SQOTW: What's the deal with watch boxes?

SQOTW: What's the deal with watch boxes?

One day at the Cruz homestead, an attractive woman walks out of the closet.

WIFE: Can we get rid of all these boxes
    ME: What??? You want to throw away thousands of dollars!!!!
    WIFE: I thought they were empty. Aren’t your watches in that thingy that spins around...and what about that mahogany watch box I bought you for Christmas when we first got married?
    ME: They ARE empty. But they’re each worth hundreds of dollars if and when I want to sell any of my watches.

She pauses. Then her head tilts down and the left side of her lip curls upward. It’s a look I instantly recognize. One of those non-verbal messages you get from your spouse after years of marriage that says, “You’re an idiot.”

I look back at her, my eyebrows move downwards and nose wrinkles a little with a look she immediately understands to say, “Well if I’m an idiot...you married me. So what does that make you?”

Her countenance then quickly changes. She smiles and tilts her head, which means, “I love you.” I do the same.

She walks away.

WIFE: Whatever!
    ME: Whatever.

I figured, for my first SQOTW at IWL, I’d make it an epic one. OK, well maybe its not my first SQOTW here. My introductory thread was an SQOTW, even though it was actually a rhetorical question. But if you want to get technical, its my second SQOTW. Oh, who cares!

SO...

I mean, really??? Once the watch comes out, the box just sit either in your closet, basement, safe, whatever.

1. What’s the deal with watch boxes? Does the buyer of a used watch feel like they are getting that “buying a new watch experience” if they get it with its original box? I don’t get it!
    2. Why are some buyers willing to pay more money for watches that still have their original boxes?
    3. How much more (percentage or dollar-wise) are you (personally) willing to pay for a watch that comes with its original watch, or does it not matter to you?
    4. Is an original box more important than the cosmetic condition of the watch you are buying?
    5. What’s the deal with fake original watch boxes? (I hope this isn’t against forum rules. I’m not talking about the box a fake watch comes in, but boxes manufactured to replicate the boxes original real watches come in.)

I too have seen fake boxes that look too close for comfort. So, having the original box does not mean that it is any more real. However, I do believe that having all of the original stuff for resale is a giant bonus. Maybe it won't bring more $ but, will make it more desirable that one w/o boxes making it a faster sale. I think when you are talking about watches in the thousands like Omega and Rolex having the boxes, links and papers
    does make it feel better when unboxing and getting YOUR new toy. A couple hundred dollar Seiko...keep the box throw it away, whatever.
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

Yeah, not really talking Bulova or Timex boxes, but understand how having all the original stuff will make for a quicker sale. My understanding is that you will be offered more $$$ also, though.

Most boxes aren't really worth keeping or paying for, the numerical value attached to them can be quite ridiculous.
    Apart from collectors I doubt anyone really wants the box.
    Buyers use the lack of boxes to demand a better price and sellers use the completeness of their sets to prop up the prices of their watches, it's simply a tool to negotiate on prices apart from the condition of the watch.

There are some that truely add value or are an integral part of the purchase imo.

Take for example these :

5. Likes Uber, Nokie liked this post
    Savagely Average
    My boxes are all in my closet also.....but my wife has her own closet, and she avoids mine. Mine is less organized and more cluttered lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mew88 View Post
    Buyers use the lack of boxes to demand a better price and sellers use the completeness of their sets to prop up the prices of their watches, it's simply a tool to negotiate on prices apart from the condition of the watch.

There are some that truely add value or are an integral part of the purchase imo.
    Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Also nice examples of exquisite boxes. But what about outer boxes? They are also often expected.

Also, what about a seller who supplies a fake box to up the price of his authentic watch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocre View Post
    My boxes are all in my closet also.....but my wife has her own closet, and she avoids mine. Mine is less organized and more cluttered lol
    Unfortunately, we share a walk-in. Three quarters hers, one quarter mine. And still she wants more space!

My red Omega boxes....look like crap just from storage. The red peels off. I still keep them. BTW Col Angus the best SNL ever lol!
    Omega Speedmaster Ed White

Omega PO Chrono 45
    Rolex DSSD
    Seiko Pogue gold
    Deep Blue diver
    Zodiac oceanaire
    many Citizen and Seiko from the years.

10. Likes Mew88, Col Angus liked this post
    Savagely Average
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    Unfortunately, we share a walk-in. Three quarters hers, one quarter mine. And still she wants more space!

Time to buy an armoire!

12. Likes Col Angus liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    Makes a lot of sense. Thank you. Also nice examples of exquisite boxes. But what about outer boxes? They are also often expected.

Also, what about a seller who supplies a fake box to up the price of his authentic watch?

I think the same applies to outer boxes but being made of cardboard, they have a lower impact on prices.

There are exceptions like Panerai, which label the movement S/N on the outer box. While not a fool proof way of authenticating a watch, buyers seem to be willing to pay more for a set that comes with it.

Sellers who pass a fake box as original are dishonest but they tend to get away with it. Strangely, while boxes affect prices, buyers don't seem concerned about the authenticity of their boxes especially if their watches checks out.