Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SQOTW: What's the deal with watch boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mew88 View Post
    Sellers who pass a fake box as original are dishonest but they tend to get away with it. Strangely, while boxes affect prices, buyers don't seem concerned about the authenticity of their boxes especially if their watches checks out.
    Exactly! They would definitely be dishonest and may get more money for the watch they are selling, but i can't imagine how a buyer could challenge a transaction based upon the authenticity of a box, when the watch is in good order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Likes Mew88 liked this post
    I keep all mine, it adds value & appeal to a buyer IMO.For example I purchased 2 of my Panerais gently used & I was after 1 w/ all boxes & paperwork incl.
    Some boxes are worthy of keeping, like this 1

It's all in the eye of the beholder.& it can add $$ to your own sale.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

Quote Originally Posted by Col Angus View Post
    Unfortunately, we share a walk-in. Three quarters hers, one quarter mine. And still she wants more space!
    Ditto. And I'm sure we aren't alone in that!

I have the box for every single watch in my collection.
    And they are all in my office downstairs

I don't think a box will add value to a particular sale, but rather not lose value on account of not having it.
    I won't buy a watch without papers either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mew88 View Post
    Strangely, while boxes affect prices, buyers don't seem concerned about the authenticity of their boxes especially if their watches checks out.
    Never spent much time on rolexforum have you lol
    thats the sole place I've seen repeated posts about boxes not being authentic, or at least not correct for a given watch.
    Last edited by Chase; Dec 13, 2014 at 04:24 AM.

Some pics of very nice boxes, but they're still just boxes! And after you get their contents out they are put away and forgotten for the most part. So why this obsession? Why won't some people buy a watch if it doesn't come with the box? Isn't it ultimately the watch that matters? That's what you'll wear and get enjoyment out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post

Never spent much time on rolexforum have you lol
    thats the sole place I've seen repeated posts about boxes not being authentic, or at least not correct for a given watch.
    Been awhile since I visited that site lol, some Rolex fans seem to have an obsession with period correct accessories .

I won't buy a pre loved watch without all of the boxes and documentation it came with originally, especially if it's a chronometer. Not for resale consideration, I'm just weird like that....and in so many other ways.

8. Likes WatchObsession liked this post
    If you've paid a few £1000 or more on a watch, including the box and papers, why would you then decide to throw the box away just because it is the watch you bought, seems crazy to me. A bit like buying a suit which happens to come with a nice quality suit carrier, do you then throw it away once you get home ?

Personally I keep all mine, in some instances, limited edition pieces, pieces that came with special boxes, ie Omega X-33 will get more money resale if totally complete, box, papers and of course, the watch !! ��

10. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    I keep all boxes & documentation for possible trade or sale.

I always hide my boxes under the engine hood (bonnet) of my wife's car, she'll never look there

12. Likes wschofield3, Nutty28 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchObsession View Post
    If you've paid a few £1000 or more on a watch, including the box and papers, why would you then decide to throw the box away just because it is the watch you bought, seems crazy to me. A bit like buying a suit which happens to come with a nice quality suit carrier, do you then throw it away once you get home ?

Personally I keep all mine, in some instances, limited edition pieces, pieces that came with special boxes, ie Omega X-33 will get more money resale if totally complete, box, papers and of course, the watch !! ��
    Think of all the consumer items you buy that are packaged in boxes. If you kept all of them, imagine the clutter that would build up in your home. I understand that many buyers of used watches want and need to have the original box included. I also understand the value of keeping them hence the weird looks from my wife. My question really is...why?

Boxes can be damaged/destroyed or lost or thrown away (accidentally, or on purpose). You are buying a watch, right? Aren't you more interested in the actual condition of the watch? If it's a matter of ensuring a watch's authenticity, like I said previously, there is a market for fake original boxes out there. So buying a watch that comes with "box" doesn't really help.

Still trying to get to the reasoning behind it.

Box and papers helps show that the watch hasn't been stolen.