Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still non of the new models. What do you think?

Still non of the new models. What do you think?

Well,.. I've mentioned often, but still can't get used to the new sport models. I really think the balance is gone with the big oversized lugs. It all started with the DeepSea. Before it came out I was on the list for one and brought it back after a couple of weeks. The bracelet is just soo tinny,.... Also funny that the even the third and fourth link is smaller than a regular old Submariner. If they only also paid a little attention to those bracelets,.....
    Also almost everybody around me agrees. Still see manny being sold and most of the time to first time owners.

So therefore I still got a fine collection of Rolex, but still not one of the models. Probably will stay this way for a long time to come,... or maybe the new Daytona, whenever it comes, will be a contender. For now I'll enjoy my current collection and one positive side; at least it is not costing me money.

What do you think,.. getting used to it already??

Nope. Very few of the new models interest me (sport OR dress models). Fat cases, ugly dials. No thanks...I'll stick with the older ones.

~Sherry.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

3. Likes Bidle liked this post
    I like the the Explorer I, SkyDweller, SeaDweller and gold GMT II. Not so keen on the new Subs or Explorer II. I blow hot and cold on the Milgauss, don't like the Daytona and love the new Cellini models. The DSSD is probably too thick for me.

So, a bit mixed I guess...
    G-Shock: GW3000B-1A
    Rolex: Submariner 14060M
    Accurist: 1961 Shockmaster (Gold) & 1965 Shockmaster (Steel)
    Omega: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00
    Meistersinger: Perigraph AM1002
    Ben Sherman: S489.OOBS
    Rotary: 1990 Quartz (Gold)
    Steinhart: Ocean GMT 39mm
    Certina: DS Super PH500M & DS PH200M
    Timex: MKI Mechanical

5. Likes Bidle liked this post
    Also, wish they hadn't dropped the AirKing :-(

I have less strong feelings about the other models.

7. Likes Bidle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidle View Post
    ...I really think the balance is gone with the big oversized lugs...
    Probably not only the lugs; the overall balance seems a bit off. The fatter and proportionally shorter hands don't help much, eiher. That said, I do prefer the new 114060 over its predecessor. Can't say the same about the 16570/ 216570 though - and I have both models. However, I have to admit that my doubts are only aesthetic. The newer models - in general - have better finished cases, higher performance movements and the bracelets have much better clasps.
    Perhaps we'll need time to get used to the new looks? Anyway, I intend to keep my small collection and don't foresee, in the near future, newer acquisitions. But we don't really know, do we?!

9. Likes Bidle liked this post
    Personally, I think every model they increased in size has not improved. I haven't tried a 39mm explorer yet, so that might be an exception.
    Did they also blow up the Daytona? Or is that one still 40mm?

Still 40

I've not spent much time hands on with the newer ones. That said I find the white 42mm Explorer II very attractive especially the "super" maxi dial, thick hands and all. The thick hands don't seem to work so well on the black dial for me.

But I would want to try it one as the size could be a concern. My 5513 is very comfy on the wrist and I would hope a modern Rolex would exceed that.
    Instagram: @tempocalypse

I prefer the older, not a fan at all of the fat lugs.

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar
    While I'm not a huge fan of the watch in photos, the newer Subs really impressed me when I saw them in person. As someone who years ago quickly flipped a 14060M due to the size and jangly bracelet, I think the redesign added just enough heft and wrist presence to bring it in line with modern dive watch aesthetics. The DSSD? Not so much. Just too overdone in almost every way IMO.