Likes Likes:  109
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stats From First Month

Blog Entries

Stats From First Month

As of yesterday, our one month anniversary, here are some stats you might find interesting:

522 members, and 677(!) banned spammers.

We just passed 4 million total page hits since the site has been online. On average, Wednesday is our busiest day of the week and Saturday is the slowest

We've had visits from 122 different countries, and these are the top 5 so far this month:

Countries Pages Hits Bandwidth
    United States us 442,678 764,646 7.13 GB

Great Britain gb 235,317 412,325 3.54 GB

Canada ca 84,441 139,757 1.45 GB

Australia au 45,474 89,779 801.64 MB

Netherlands nl 29,209 57,554 434.00 MB

As well as numbers, it's useful to review how we're doing in terms of the character of the forum. It's no secret that we started IWL because we were no longer happy where we were, but mostly we were excited by the idea of using our experience to create something new and fresh. We were aiming at a few things:

1) A cool modern look
    We didn't want the 'budget supermarket' look with bold colours and banners competing for attention. We wanted a relaxed clarity that made it easy to get around and do things, while leaving the focus on the posts. We think we've pretty much achieved that, with a clean, consistent look.

2) A cohesive community
    Our experience elsewhere told us that you can have too many sub-forums. Some themes and brands need their own space, but if you have too many sub-forums you run the risk of dividing the community. We wanted a single community where members feel at home everywhere. It's something we'll continue to think about as we grow.

3) A courteous but not stuffy environment
    We didn't want a dry academic tone, but neither did we want the hullabaloo of a playground. We haven't seen the macho posturing that can turn forums into boys' clubs, and we don't have habitually confrontational members. We do have one or two members who could be a little less vivid and forceful in their language but we're hoping that they'll adapt... Generally, we've been able to trust the members without too much in the way of intervention. As we all know, a self-policing membership means less moderation, which makes all of us happy, particularly the mods who get to talk more about fun stuff like watches.

IWL Staff
    Last edited by Jeannie; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:59 PM.

great stuff Jeannie ! though its not too surprising to see and prove that Americans can out -talk the rest of us

3. Likes JAGtime, geoffbot, gnuyork, RBrylawski liked this post
    Well done, IWL (staff, and members)!
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

5. Likes JAGtime, birdynamnam liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent job you're all doing too, by the way. Congrats on a great and promising first month.

teeritz

(IWL Member No. 72)
    My other distractions ---> http://www.teeritz.blogspot.com.au

7. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Jeannie, I'd like to congratulate all involved in the success of IWL. It's a great atmosphere, and it's wonderful members can all roll in the mud in harmony I think we have a great future here, and looking forward to the growth & changes that will time will bring. I've been involved in new start-up forums in the past, but this place & it's people are special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie View Post
    3) A courteous but not stuffy environment
    We didn't want a dry academic tone, but neither did we want the hullabaloo of a playground. We haven't seen the macho posturing that can turn forums into boys' clubs, and we don't have habitually confrontational members. We do have one or two members who could be a little less vivid and forceful in their language but we're hoping that they'll adapt... Generally, we've been able to trust the members without too much in the way of intervention. As we all know, a self-policing membership means less moderation, which makes all of us happy, particularly the mods who get to talk more about fun stuff like watches.

IWL Staff
    I'd like to address this statement immediately: I don't think it's fair that Chrono and I are looked upon in such a dark light, we try to behave & obey rules...but mind altering drugs and alcohol blur our better judgment. In the future we will try to curtail the drug use Name:  jeannie.gif
Views: 208
Size:  3.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    great stuff Jeannie ! though its not too surprising to see and prove that Americans can out -talk the rest of us
    Peter, I resemble that snide remark

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    Those who say in 25 words what could have been said in 250 words just weren't trying hard enough.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. Likes Bwana, Jeannie, bu11itt liked this post
    Congratulations! The project is a great success!

12. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Terribly impressive stats for a first month!

Keep up the great work. No need to thank me personally for all 60 or so of my contributions to date

and by the way, thank you.

Thank you very much for the information, Jeannie. And congratulations to all the people involved.

Blog Entries
    The information was compiled by OTGabe and tribe125 so I can't take credit for that. I merely posted it.

We all know that a forum is as much or more about the membership as it is about the owners and moderators, so if you are enjoying the "IWL vibe," then give yourselves a big pat on the back.

Except for Bwana and Chrono. They are clearly our problem children.

Jeannie
    Last edited by Jeannie; Dec 14, 2014 at 02:42 AM.

16. Likes Bwana, is that my watch liked this post